Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bayur tree-Pterospermum acerifolia

Posted by maspirasjr zones 6/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 11:49

Here's a beautiful tropical tree those in south Florida might enjoy growing: Pterospermum acerifolia. Also called bayur, this is a large ornamental tree from southern India, Thailand, Myanmar(Burma) and Java that is also called the 'dinner plate tree' owing to the huge, almost circular shape of its leaves. The attractive velvety leaves are also snow white underneath and when emergent.

A young seedling I'm growing (note the white newl emergent leaf):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The mature tree in the tropics:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Enjoy!

Marcelo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bayur tree-Pterospermum acerifolia

Gee, I have six little seedlings too. I wonder where I got them from?

Marcelo, one of these days when I get back to Balboa Park with my camera, I'll take of pic of this tree growing there. It's about the size of the one you posted.

-Ron-

o

Fouquieria: Balboa park is next to the San Diego Zoo? I just have visited the zoo, but never this park is next to it; will visit it this summer.

o

LOL, Ron. Glad to to hear your seedlings are thriving. You definitely have a more amenable climate for them than I do over here!

Marcelo

o

Marcelo, I can't see your photo of the seedling as it has been removed. If you're still on the board, would you hop across to the 'Name that plant' forum for my posting, as I'm almost certain that the seedling/seeds shown in my photos are not pterospermum. (See link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: My message in Name That Plant forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here