Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amkelly802

Pineapple Plant Help

amkelly802
12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the website and also new to growing plants and such. About a year ago I bought a pineapple plant and I have kept it inside for the winter since I live in New York. While inside it looked a beautiful green on the leaves. Once summer started I planted the pineapple plant in a pot and put it outside to get some natural sunlight. Ever since its been outside its leaves have gotten darker, almost like a dark brown (not burnt). Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? I water the plant every couple of days, any ideas?

Aaron

Comments (2)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Its hard to tell without a pic, but its probably sun burn. It should grow new leaves that are normally colored. I thought my pineapple was dead because its leaves were all spotted with lots of black and gray (after complete neglect indoors to a point where I forgot it existed), but some more water and full sun was enough to make some healthy green leaves grow out from the center. Now Im wating for it to replace the old leaves so it looks nice and healthy again!
    -Alex

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

One of the problems could be cold night temperatures. Pineapples come from NE Brazil where night temperatures never fall below 15C 60F. In early/late summer in NY temps can fall below this. Keep it indoors in a sunny position all the year round. - Ian.