Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnamarienj

Jasmine questions....

donnamarienj
13 years ago

Hi, everyone, I have a few questions about a jasmine I am growing.

First off, I am in zone 6 and I purchased this jasmine several years ago. Never thinking it would live past the winter (most of my tropicals don't), I kept it inside year round. Much to my delight, this one survived, and bloomed periodically, but wasnÂt the happiest camper. Nevertheless, I kept it alive and blooming. I am not an "avid" tropical grower, IÂm not even a beginner. The plant received no special attention than my other indoor house plants.

To make a long story short, for the first time (and I donÂt know whatever possessed me to do this), I brought the plant outside this spring, pruned it back (because it looked like, at long last, I was going to lose it). I thought "what the heck," pruned it back, and put it outside. I didnÂt know what I was doing.

OMG! It was gorgeous!!!!! It was so happy!!!! It must have been the heat, light and humidity, but it was covered in blooms. I was thrilled. My neighbors accused me of buying a new plant, that it "couldnÂt be" the one in my kitchen window for so many years.

But, then I thought.... WhatÂs going to happen to it when I bring it inside? Will it go into shock? I want to put it in the same spot as before (a huge picture window). IÂve never kept a tropical this long and donÂt want to kill it now.... :(

Another thing I noticed, and this is important..... The plant and pot are absolutely covered with ants. While this is ok now, in October, when I bring the plant inside my kitchen, I certainly do not want any ants on the plant or in the soil. So my second question is HOW DO I GET RID OF ALL OF THE ANTS ON THIS PLANT? I can soak the container, but canÂt ants live underwater? And since the ants are almost the same color of the soil, IÂll never see them if they just hang out on top of the soil.

My other plants that I bring back inside (laurel, rosemary, sage) have never had a problem with ants. Peonies are like that - you pick a bloom and then find a gazillion ants running around the bloom and stem.

Can someone point me in the right direction to answer my questions? Please?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!