Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant

Posted by fmcgoohan none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 15:21

I was given this plant but have no idea what it is. There are three individual plants in the pot. One of the plants has developed a pattern of brown spots on one of the leaves. The other two are starting to develop browning around the edge of the leaves. Can someone help answer what is this plant, how to best take care of it and how to combat the browning? Sorry, I know that is a lot but I'm afraid it is only going to get worse if I don't figure out what the plant needs.

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant

Hi
looks like either a bird of paradise of one of it's relatives ,or might be a Calathea?? Would suggest repotting and a shady summer out doors. If a BOP definitely needs a lot more light. gary

o

It's a white bird of paradise. It's most likely browning because it is very root-bound and can't take up water to support that much foliage. You don't show a climate zone by your user name and that's a problem when trying to help someone with a plant issue.

If you are in zone 8b or above, plant this in the ground and keep it watered. If you are in a zone below 8b, plant them individually in garbage can-size planters and drag them into a warm and well-lit spot over the winter.

They will need fertilizer after you get them re-potted and they have become established - a month or two.

o

Thanks for your quick replies! I'm actually in New York and the plant has been indoors since I got it. I'll have to get another pot for it until I can find a suitable location. Any ideas on how to keep it from growing too much without harming it?
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here