Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea Blooming Times

Posted by kes_cor Z5 Chicago, IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 15:43

What should I expect the blooming times of a Bougainvillea in the Midwest to be? I just purchased one and has just flowered out. Will it rebloom again this summer? I have not repotted it as I think it should be pot bound. Should I prune it back and fertilize?

Any advise would be great!!

Can't wait to take cuttings!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea Blooming Times

Bougainvillea blooms all summer for me in California... but they need heat and sun...let it dry out between waterings a little... then let it dry out a LOT during the winter.

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Heat:10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 19:31

Hmm that's a tough question to answer. Heathen so your blooming period in california is the complete opposite of Florida? That would make sense because our dry season is november through may and that's when bougainvillea's bloom the most here.

o

Kameha is right. In Florida, Bougainvillea goes nuts the drier it is. (Once established, of course). Also, generally the more you prune them, the less they bloom since flowering occurs from the tips. They can get massive. They are easy propagate from cuttings, too.

o

Mine are just starting to come into bloom,and always do about this time and thru the rest of the summer.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Here in Mxico I BELIEVE it always has flowers, do this make any sense? In here theres only 20" of annual rainfall and hot weather year round.

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Heat:10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 3:26

Patusho that does make sense because it is arid almost year round where you live right? And like WRF said bougainvillea's bloom during dry periods. Here we get a few blooms during the wet period and I bet in California they bloom a bit during the winter rainy season too.

o

Actually it is semi-arid.

o

Mine did good in Phx, bloomed much more than they do here. Last year it was really dry in the summer where I live in Louisiana and of course they started blooming like crazy in the fall after I started to water them alot.

o

These bloom on new growth so for small potted ones in temperate areas, figure about 6 - 8 weeks after the last bloom, assuming that you get a new growth cycle going on it. You could prune right now to get it bushier and trigger a growth cycle. But as others noted, make sure you keep it fairly dry, even to wilting stage, before watering again and give it lots of heat and sun!

o

I'd like to add, (at least where we live) it depends on the Boug..I have two, Jamacian White and Raspberry Ice..The RI is deciduous, and blooms all summer long, while the JW blooms in winter..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here