Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasgirl

Favorite Source For Buying Tropicals

northtexasgirl
18 years ago

Thanks a bunch for your input. :) If you have different sources for specific tropicals, please list them all. Have a super weekend everyone.

Leona

Comments (14)

• gigik
    18 years ago

Everything Natural Selections sells is big and beautiful. Gigi

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

You gotta watch who you mention as this forum will censor you!!! They think that it's 'free advertising' or something.
    kevin

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Maybe the new management will, but as long as you are not advertising yourself they never used to. I read--and give--recommendations all the time.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

North,, it depends what type of tropicals you're looking for..I shop at several different nurseries depending on plants..Toni

• sputnikfarm
    18 years ago

Try this link to Garden watchdog. They rate online sellers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden watchdog

• SUSANDALLAS
    18 years ago

Since you live in Ft.Worth, I suggest Home Depot for musa lasiocarpa bananas. Lowes is stocking Musa Basjoo. Both of these can also be found at Calloways. Texas Palms in downtown Dallas has a wide assortment of cold hardy palms, elephant ears, etc. Also Northaven Gardens stocks Gingers, oleanders, etc. Is there any particular plant you were looking for? Maybe I can tell you where to find it. You can find most tropicals in our area.

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information.

Gigi, thanks for the source. I checked them out.

Toni-I'm referring to rare tropicals that aren't readily available at most local nurseries. I totally revamped my back and side yards this year so that I can add more tropicals. I am looking for shrubs, fruit and ornamental trees, flowers, foliage.
    I also have a greenhouse for the ones that aren't hardy to this area.

Holedigger, I learned to check with Garden Watchdog several years ago when I ordered from several of "those" nurseries and got ripped off. That's an excellent site.

SUSANDALLAS, I frequent Lowe's and Home Depot and have bought lots of plants from them both. However, the vendors they buy from are bad about mislabeling plants and especially tropicals. I guess they know that inexperienced gardeners won't know the difference. As far as Calloway's goes, I would rather buy online than pay their exorbitant prices. I've never been impressed with their plants anyway. I try to buy locally and do but when it comes to tropicals, we are hurting here in Fort Worth for nurseries that sell other than the usual ones.

Leona

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Leona, what else is there to look for(S)?
    I've found some of the most facinating plant online..thank God for the internet..
    Citrus, hibiscus, gingers, rare philos, gardenias, agaves, you name it I found it..And everytime I say that's it, I find another.
    You can shop from reasonably priced to over 25.00 per plant..LMK, if any of the plants I mentioned are to your interest, and I'll jot names of websites.
    BTW, I've over 400 plants, so that gives you an idea..lol..Toni

• eyedocbob
    18 years ago

I just received some cocoa fruit from Montoso Gardens. Shipping was super fast, prices resonable, and easy to deal with.

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

eyedocbob, thanks for that source; unfortunately, they won't ship to Texas due to a nematode problem. I'm finding that this is the case with most nurseries online. So, onward I go, surfing the net. :)

Leona

• Bill
    18 years ago

Leona,

I have purchsed most of mine recently from various Ebay sellers. There are lots of things available, and the feedback system allows you to see what other purchasers felt about the plants they purchased.

Bill

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

Leona

South Texas Tropicals in Corpus Christi has lots of tropicals. I buy lots of orchids from him.

Yucca Do Nursery just outside of Hempstead, Texas has lots of unusual subtropicals.

And Rivers End Nursery and Farm in the Texas Valley has wonderful tropical fruit trees.

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill, thanks so much for your info. I will check ebay out later.

LT Collins, thanks for those sources.

You guys are killing me--I'm finding things I just have to have at almost all of these sources. lol It's difficult trying to narrow my choices down to a few that I "just can't live without." You are all enabling my addiction. :) I love it!! lol

Leona

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Leona, here's another site I found..Just want to say I've never ordered from them, but they've got plants I'm sure you'll be interested in..the addy is www.eat-it.com/ I hope you find something interesting..let me know..Toni