Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree identification help?

Posted by mccastle.weber (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 16:19

Hi! I stumbled upon this beautiful tree and needed help identifying it. Does anyone have a clue as to what It is? I'm in central FL!

This post was edited by mccastle.weber on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 16:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree identification help?

Brugmansia.

o

They like a cool climate, but not frozen. And can grow into a very large shrub, or small tree.

o

Hi
You can get these in many growth habits as well as colors in single double even triple flowering . Several choices of aromas some overpowering lol one of the worlds most spectacular plants for sure gary

o

This plant is also known as Angel Trumpet.

o

Brugmansia do well in Hawaii; the one I had in California froze. My favorites are the double pinks.
They also come in white, purple, and your lovely peach.

All parts of the plant are poisonous. There is an urban legend that the seeds will get you high, and many kids get sick from trying it.

o

The kids get Datura and Brugmansia confused. Seeing that most kids looking for a high are not smart enough to research what they take....they get them confused....because they both have identical flowers except one points up and one hangs. A hallucinogen can be made from datura but as with most plants, you need to know what you are doing when making the tea. Brugmansia, sent me to the hospital once, as I picked some flowers, and the sap got under my finger nails...while chewing on my nails, I ended up getting crazy sick with non stop vomiting, which sent me into the er....trying to explain to the doc, that I was not attempting to get high from the plant was impossible. They are gorgeous flowers but it is a plant, I highly suggest people stay away from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here