Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
localoca_gw

Need more help in plant ID

localoca
15 years ago

Ok...so I got more plants I would like to identify and it seems this site is a great place to do it - thanks for all your help! Here goes:

The one of the right hadside with bright green leaves

The "fan tree":

The "heliconia":

The palm part 1:

The palm part 2:

Comments (8)

• tophersmith
    15 years ago

The first Pic is swwet potatoe vine

• lac1361
    15 years ago

The "heliconia" is an Alpinia ginger, possibly Alpinia Formosana "pinstripe ginger" if the bloom is upright rather than pendant.

Steve

• oldned
    15 years ago

The palm looks like a Parotis (Everglades) Palm Acoelorraphe wrightii

Fan Tree is a Queensland Umbrella Tree
    Schefflera actinophylla

• rayandgwenn
    15 years ago

I think the "heliconia" is just a small variegated shell ginger Alpinia Zerumbet.
    The pinstripe ginger has a totally different leaf (it has pinstripes all over it).

• localoca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for all your help! I'm trying to build a subtropical garden..thanks!

• JerryatTreeZoo
    15 years ago

The palm is a Rhapis species, not Paurotis. The ginger does look like Alpinia zerumbet variegata. A good shot of the leaf in the background of pic # 1.

Jerry

• oldned
    15 years ago

Yep...Agree with Rhapis sp. for the Palm

• nebypera
    15 years ago

The "fan tree":
    Schefflera arboricola (syn. Heptapleurum arboricolum) is a flowering plant in the family Araliaceae, native to Taiwan and Hainan. It also goes by the common name "Dwarf Umbrella Tree" It is an evergreen shrub growing to 3-4 m tall, with weak, often trailing stems scrambling over other vegetation. The leaves are palmately compound, with 7-9 leaflets, the leaflets 9-20 cm long and 4-10 cm broad (though often smaller in cultivation). The flowers are produced in a 20 cm panicle of small umbels, each umbel 7-10 mm diameter with 5-10 flowers.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schefflera_arboricola