Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow room help

Posted by Lurr United kingdom (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 17:15

Hi im in the UK

I like growing curry leaf trees and kaffir limes trees here in the uk from seed.Doing so is ok up until january and they start to leaf drop and die.

I want to this year use a cupboard that is in a converted attic room as a grow room for them.

The cupboard size is 3 foot by 4 foot, I plan to use 52cm 18w heated propagators on the floor, insulate the walls with foil insulation (wikes) but im not sure what lighting i need to use. can anyone help me with the set up ?
The trees like to be kept at 21 degrees and im hoping that having 6-8 heated propagators on the floor will help. each propagator will hold about 25 small pots which will have a 2 inch plant in each.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow room help

Hi Lurr,

I would suggest that you post your question in the Citrus Forum. Most of the users of that forum are folks in colder climates, growing citrus in containers because they are outside of citrus' native hardiness zones. (Folks who can grow citrus in the ground tend to be in the Florida and California forums - they don't go to the specialty citrus forum all that much.) So in the Citrus Forum, you will have lots of help and discussion with people doing what you are trying to do. Here is a link.

Carol in Jacksonville, Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

o
RE: Grow room help

The biggest problem growing tropical plants in the UK I found is the lack of light in winter. For example it is midwinter here in Brazil at the moment but light levels are similar to what they would be in summer in UK. Have you considered using some form of artificial lighting for those dark winter days? - Ian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here