Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will grasshoppers eat my coffee plant?

Posted by jcr89 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:52

As usual, I hope this is in the right place.
I have a coffee tree that I have had for over a year now (from seed) as a houseplant and it is beautiful!! I have been tempted to put it outside, as I have read that would be good for it in the summer in shade (oklahoma, 7a).
The grasshoppers have been rampant this year. They have destroyed my avocados and key limes, but there are certain things they don't touch, such as my alocasias and pineapple plants.

So before I do anything drastic or make any big risks... Does any body know:
Do grasshoppers have a taste for coffee arabica leaves???

Please and thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will grasshoppers eat my coffee plant?

There's thousands of different species of grasshopper and there's usually at least one for every type of plant. But it's just a matter of geography whether you have one there that likes coffee leaves, or is suited/can adapt to eating them. I had one at my place that none of the grasshoppers seemed to develop a taste for. Unfortunately mealy bugs absolutely loved it.

o
RE: Will grasshoppers eat my coffee plant?

Thanks for the reply! I just don't think I can muster up the courage to risk it right now... That's really too bad because I'm sure it would love the humidity and the temps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here