Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with MANDEVILLA (Care Instructions?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:57

My neighbor gave me a pink mandevilla in April before she moved away. I have never had one and would like to know how to care for it. I took it out of the small pot she had it in and put it in one a little larger with good soil. It seems to be doing good right now. It has lots of buds on it. The leaves are a nice shiny green. I have it placed in full sun all day long. It gets hot direct afternoon sun. We've been having a very warm summer. My mandevilla, although it has lots of buds doesn't seem to be growing up the trellis that I have placed in the pot. What kind of fertilizer should I give it? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of this mandevilla expcept that it has pink blooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with MANDEVILLA (Care Instructions?

Once you initially wrap one shoot around the trellis, it will continue to do it itself, but you have to start it.

Place in full sun and dont cut or pinch anything back.

I dont fertilize my mandevilla, it doesnt seem to need it. But I think as long as you place in full sun and have it working up a trellis it will do well.

o

delreytropical ~ Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't pinched or cut anything back. The buds are getting bigger each day and it looks like they should open up anytime now. I have the vines wrapped around the trellis but it seems to be getting bushier than taller.

o

I have dark red Mandevilla on my balkony. It stays middle of two rosemary. It love sun and heat. I mist it almost every nigth when sun is go down. In awhile I put seeweed in my misting bottle. I pick up the ded flower and that's it. Easy plant to care.....in summer. Winter is another thing. But now i summer....enjoy!

o

We have really bad weather yesterday and today. It's raining and it's cold. I brought my tropical plants such as Mandevilla indoor. No it is in hanging baskets.

o

We know this plant as Brazilian Jasmine or Dipladenia. The word "Brazilian" should remind you that this is a tropical plant and needs very warm temperatures most of the time. It also needs a lot of light to flower well. As climbers go, it's quite a slow grower, however, so is a good pot option. Good luck. Ian.

o

Cadence,
Have had success with Mandevilla's for about 4 yrs in PA.
Make sure that the pot has at least 1/3 sand. Proper drainage is key. As you add potting mix make sure to add sand. Only water every five days or so. A young plant can take up to 8 weeks to truly start showing itself. Good luck its an awesome plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here