Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racor_2006

Sapodilla

racor_2006
17 years ago

I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that is about 4ft tall and full of flowers.

The flowers are starting to dry out without setting fruit and there is not a lot of info in the web regarding pollinating methods for the Sapodilla.

Has anyone had success pollinating by hand or other methods?

Thanks

Comments (17)

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Is this plant planted out in the ground? How long have you had it? It may take it a few years before it starts holding onto to some of the fruits. There really shouldn't be no need to hand pollinate. The flowers seem to be pollinated by wasps and ants, I think mostly ants.

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eggo,

I had the plant for 6 months. It was in a pot and I planted it in the ground 3 months ago. It may be about 3 years old.
    When it was on the pot, there was one fruit on it which I think a bird might of taken because it disappeared. Anyways, it's old enough to fruit

• Eggo
    17 years ago

There's one plant that I'm familiar with, it bloom profusely the first 2 yrs but held no fruit. Since then it has flowered and held fruits. It may just need a bit more time. Or the bugs may have not known what to do with them flowers yet. Would love to see some of your pictures!

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eggo,

Here are my pictures

• sputnikfarm
    17 years ago

That is a healthy looking specimen. After having some fruit from a sapodilla I would really like to grow one. Where did you get yours? And do you need more than one tree to get fruit? I understand your frustration, their fruit is wonderful. There doesn't seem to be alot of information available about cultivating them either. I am hoping to find a 'Makok'. I hope yours is just adjusting to being put in the ground. Maybe once it roots well it can focus on fruiting for you.

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago

Beautiful Sapodilla pictures, rancor! I can't wait for my grafted one to arrive!

• Eggo
    17 years ago

WOW great looking plant Racor. Give it another year and I think it will definitely hold some fruit. Here's a picture of a tree in my area. It's not mine. This was taken last December or so. The plant did look like your tree a couple of years before so it may need a little bit more time. The fruits actually over winter from one year to the next before ripening.

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Holedigger,

I purchased mine from Papaya Tree Nursery in Ganada Hills, CA. This particular variety (Alano) suppose to be self fertile so it does not need another tree to pollinate. There are other varieties which are also self fertile. There is a tropical fruit website in Florida that sells Sapodillas via mail order. Do can Google search for their website or email me.

Eggo,

That is a great looking Sapodilla you took a picture of. Hope mine looks like that one day. I know mine is still young but I would like to get to taste at least one fruit now to see how is the quality. I have tasted may Sapodillas over the years but did not know the varieties.

Thanks for all the responses.

Hope a new "Tropical Fruit Only" forum gets implemented.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Nice pics everyone. You have me concerned about your flowers dropping. My Alano is starting to bloom for the first time. Hopefully they will stay on. I also noticed that you have yours under a shade cloth. I had to move mine under an ash tree. The leaves were getting burned.

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jay,

That is the reason why I covered my tree. The leaves were getting burned and since it had flowers, I didn't want to take a chance on the flowers getting burned before having a chance to pollinate. The flowers that are droping right now are the ones that are not pollinated. I have hand pollinated some flowers and I'm waiting to see if some fruit develope.

• bongbonsai
    17 years ago

I live in San Diego and have a Sapodilla tree in my backyard...as per experience, you can hand pollinate the flowers using a thin water color brush small enough to be inserted in the flower. Flowers open in the afternoon so you can alternately hand pollinate the flowers which I believe the fully open is male and the slightly open is female. By doing this I do have alot of fruits on my tree.

• khanhcung57
    11 years ago

I am living in Orange County, California and have a Sapodilla tree about more than 11 years every year has a lot flower but only one fruit, I never do hand pollinate because I do not know how, so Bonbbonsai can you help me to do pollinate by hand please.
    KHANH.
    khanhcung57@yahoo.com 714-902-7590

• khanhcung57
    11 years ago

I am living in Orange County, California and have a Sapodilla tree about more than 11 years every year has a lot flower but only one fruit, I never do hand pollinate because I do not know how, so Bonbbonsai can you help me to do pollinate by hand please.
    KHANH.
    khanhcung57@yahoo.com 714-902-7590

• emr-exotics
    9 years ago

I live in Encinitas, CA, I just started planting some tropical fruit trees; for sapodillas, I already planted 2 Makok. I wanted to add another variety but can not decide between Hasya or Alano, which cultivar has better taste and compact growth Hasya or Alano??? Has anyone grown Jackfruit tree successfully in San Diego??? which cultivar??? Thank you in advance for any help.

• Wendynguyen
    9 years ago

I am living in Orange county. my sapodilla it produces a lot of fruits

• Wendynguyen
    9 years ago

Here is my sapodilla tree