Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mamey Sapote

Posted by GCMastiffs z10 Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 19:26

Anyone here growing these? After tasting the fruit, I **had** to have a tree and found a beauty at a local nursery. They had mature trees there as well. They are supposed to be easy to grow. Anyone had any troubles with them?

My new Mamey Sapote.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mature tree

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mamey Sapote

Very nice looking fruit tree, but I wonder if those huge trees have problems because of getting pot bounded.

leonel

o

The mature tree is in the ground. Mine will be too, in a spot where it can grow as wide as it likes. I'll try to keep it low and wide to make picking the fruit easier. My tree is in a 35 gallon pot and looks to be in very good shape.

Lisa

o

Lisa,

I love your Mamey. It looks to be in great shape. I also fell in love with the fruit the first time I tasted it (so rich and flavorful). Have you tried making a smoothie out of the cold fruit (frozen works even better) with milk and a little sugar? An older cuban lady in Big Pine Key told me to try it that way. WOW!! I am growing one in a greenhouse in south GA. I am also going to keep mine cut low (so it will fit in the greenhouse) and I am hoping for the best. It bloomed this spring but did not hold any of the fruit it set.

o

That sounds really good! How do you tell if a mamey is ripe? They sell them at the grocery store here but they are more football shaped.

o

You're supposed to scratch the skin and if the layer underneath is green, the fruit isn't ripe. If the layer is pink or reddish, it should be ripe. I think green fruits won't ripen after they are picked. I've never seen a mamey sapote except on the Internet so I can't tell you if this method is reliable or not.

o

You can follow Stans directions to know if it is ripe, but even when they are pink or reddish after scratching the peel it may still be hard, store ir for about 1 or 2 days and it will become soft to the touch, excellent fruit.

o

GAtrops, I've only eaten them halved, with a spoon so far. Will try a smoothie if we can restrain ourselves next time(G).

So cool that you have one in your greenhouse! How do you deal with pollination indoors? I am growing Papayas in a screen house, do I need to hand pollinate them when they flower?

Anakaleki, the ones I've seen/eaten are football shaped too. It is hard to judge the right time to pick them so I'll have to go by the expected ripening season and take the biggest first. The fruit go from firm to very soft, when ripe. Your fingers will easily indent the fruit when ripe. The texture of the fruit is interesting, it spoons up just like perfect ice cream. Tastes like pumpkin pie/sweet potato/ but much better.

This photo is of a fruit off the adult tree. It is unusually red. Most are orange colored inside.

Lisa

o

Wow Lisa!! I love your tree and the picture of the fruit is awesome! I've never seen the inside of one. Now I want to try it. :) I love sweet potatoes so I think I'd like this too.

Leona

o

Leona, thanks! I actually detest sweet potatoes, but **loved** my first taste of Mamey. It is very hard to describe the flavor, and it does vary between fruit. The red one tasted different than the orange ones. There is a hint of cinnamon, maybe a touch of allspice? Like a rich, sweet, light, pumpkinish flavor - but unique. The texture is one of the neatest things - soft, creamy, not grainy, not gooey, just perfect! Not like a Papaya or melon, or pear or peach -more like ice cream than anything else I can think of. I bet kids would adore this fruit!

After you eat one you have a new flavor to catalog-a Mamey taste(G).

Lisa

o

I've never seen red in a sapote before. The ones I ate were all orange flesh.
Nice looking tree by the way!! The leaves sorta reminds me of the Japanese plum or loquat, as are the small orangy fruits.

o

Very nice looking mameys flesh, red? I have only seen the orange ones in the inside.

o

Lisa,

The smoothie is really good. I was like you and usually just ate them with a spoon. Sometimes I buy too many so I have to put some in the freezer before they go bad. That way I have some for smoothies.

I hand pollinate almost everything I grow. Most of the time I'm trying to cross-pollinate things in an effort to create a "better" offsping. In the case of most stuff it's probably not necessary but it makes me feel needed. Another concern for me is that we do not have all the "tropical pollinators" that you guys in south FL do.

Your papayas might not need to be hand pollinated but if they are growing in a screen house it might be a good idea. They will also yield larger fruit if you do hand pollinate them. This time of year in south GA there are enough moths and hummingbirds (they love the papaya blooms) to pollinate my papayas but I find the fruit are much larger (more seeds=larger seed cavity & larger fruit) if I hand pollinate them.

o

• Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 1:57

WOW! I've only seen a orange flesh ones too! The one I had tasted just like a cooked sweet potato but a bit stringy, you sound like you had much better varieties. What variety is the one in the picture? I got one growing in a pot, maybe I could find some good known budwood to graft over it.

o

• Posted by jollop 10b Miami, FL (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 17:55

I'm almost sure it's a Pantin/Key West which is the best overall Mamey Sapote. Only problem I have had with Mameys are the Cuban May Beetle which eats the leaves. Other good varieties are Pace, Abuelo and Viejo. You should get anywhere from 500 to 1,000 fruits from a mature tree if you can avoid cold weather and hurricanes...lol

o

• Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 05 at 15:25

Thanks jollop, I'll check those varieties out. Still surprise by how red it is.
Well we don't get hurricanes in California but we do get cold weather, mudslides and earthquakes. =)

o

Jollop, you are right! I called the nursery and it is a Pantin Mamey Sapote. I have found, as I blunder my way through becoming a fruit tree grower, that this nursery has the best of everything, and if they have it, it does well here. It is neat to be able to see mature versions of what they sell, right there.

The Jackfruit trees (Mia-1) I bought from them are growing like crazy! I am so pleased with them!

Am also still picking Apache Blackberries. I bought them this spring (from the same nursery). They have been producing since June and are still flowering/fruiting with no signs of slowing down.

So far this year we have had ripe fruit of some kind every month. Yippeee! My dream is becoming a reality...

Lisa

o

Lisa, I am SO envious!! I'd love to live where I could grow all those exotic tropical fruit trees and have fresh fruit all year long, instead of having to buy it at the market where it is hardly ever fresh and sure doesn't taste as good. I think I could live on fruit and nothing else. :)

Leona

o

• Posted by Cuban 11 LasVegas (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 21:52

Please let me know of a nursery where I could mail order one. My early childhood in Cuba got me hooked on the mamey. Living in San Diego I would cross the border into Tijuana in the Spring and smuggle some back from their open market (the seed is agriculturally a no-no to bring back from other countries). Tried to grow from seed, but nothing. Would like to try here in Vegas (under VERY controlled conditions, of course)! It is absolutely the BEST tasting fruit -- up there with the best of the mangos!!!

o

I would suggest Pine Island Nursery in Homestead, FL. I have bought more stuff from them than I would like to admit and am always satisfied with their plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery

o

The RED Mamey is so beautiful! Does the taste differ from the orange fleshed variety? I am in absolute Mamey envy! Eat one for me please, as I have to buy mine from the hispanic store when in season and they're very expensive up here in Maryland. I did manage to sprout a seed of one, but I had to compost the poor thing as there's not way I can keep one in the house with all my other plants, and the ceiling is only 9 ft tall. If you need to find recipients for fruit, please drop me a line!

o

• Posted by jenfm z10 Venice (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 11, 05 at 23:34

GCMastiffs, can you tell us the name of the nursery you mentioned? Is it on the west coast or the east coast? They sound like a great resource. If you're on the west coast, did you know the Sarasota Fruit and Nut club is having a plant sale September 25th? I've never been but I think they have some exotic things. Thanks.

o

Jenfm, the nursery is on the East Coast, in Lake Worth. It is Excalibur Rare Fruit Tree Nursery. They don't do mail order, but a trip there is well worth the drive.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery page

o

Hi all,
it's amazing reading but I live in area (Europe, Czech Republic) where mamey sapote fruit isn't on market. I have big collection of tropical fruit plants inc. grafted mamey Pantin. I would like to ask if somebody knows some source of mamey sapote seeds. I haven't found any place on internet with offer of these seeds. Or is here somebody who could be so kind and send me one or two seeds in some moist material by post (I can send some cash in registered letter for post charge) ??? Thank you very much for your potential help. Have great successes with your plants!!!

Stan

o

Stan, if you ask next year, during fruiting season for most varieties (April-August) I'm sure I can get you fresh seeds from many varieties. They are mostly out of season here in Florida now. The seeds are supposed to be planted as soon as possible or germination is poor. I've had good luck germinating them so far. But they take 7 years to fruit, so I bought grafted trees.

Can you find out if it is legal to get Sapote seeds shipped to you from the US?

I have three varieties now, Pantin, Florida and Excalibur (a local variety from my favorite nursery).

Lisa

o

Lisa, thank you very much for your "future" help. As for importing of seeds incl. Sapote seeds it isn't problem, any certification, permit or other documentation is not required.
Now I have the Mamey Sapote Pantin in pot, next year we will have tropical greenhouse, so it will come to free soil. I was surprised when it first time dropped leafs during winter but now I know that for variety Pantin it should be standard (??? what's your experience).
Last week I have also tried cuttings of Mamey Sapote in spite of the fact I have read that Mamey Sapote doesn't root. I used some chemicals which caused rooting for nearly every type of plant so I will see. I'll give the information about results here.

Stan

o

Hi, does anyone know where I can purchase one of these mamey trees in Miami, Florida?
This fruit is one of the best fruits I've ever tried. It is the national fruit of my native country, Cuba. I like to eat it anyway but my family's favorite way is in shake form; in a bledder I put chunks of the fruit along with some Magnolia condense milk, reg. milk, some sugar (two or three spoonfulls), a pinch of salt and ice; mix well and enjoy, it is delicious!!!

o

Iggy, thanks for the recipe!

Pine Island Nursery in Miami has them, but I think they will be much smaller. It might be worth your while to call around to other local fruit tree nurseries.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: PI Nursery Mamey info

o

Lisa!!!!!!

Your Mamey tree is quite gorgeous!!!!!! and looks so healthy

o

Can you post more pics?

o

Would someone kindly identify the genus and species of the tree in the original posting. The term sapote seems to be used for a variety of unrelated trees and fruits. Really is very confusing. Guessing, but isn't the tree pictured
Pouteria sapota (or is it Mamey americana??)

o

One has to be careful about "mamey" and "mamey zapote".

There is mamey- which is more light yellowy orange and dry. A rounder fruit. It is a Mamey Americana.

Then there is the mamey zapote (Pouteria sapota) which is the fruit that GCMastiffs pictured above. More football shaped. The zapote (or sapote) is softer, sweeter and moister. I like the flavor much better- more fruity.

o

The tree pictured in the original post is a Pouteria sapota, commonly called the Mamey sapote. Mammea americana has a rounder, somewhat more leathery leaf.

o

We have a mamey sapote tree, approximately ten years old. It has been flowering the past 2-3 years, but has never borne fruit, just these string-beany looking things. A neighbor just told me that tree that have the 'beans' will never bear fruit. ??!! I've searched the web but haven't found any info regarding this. Can anyone help? Will the tree ever bear fruit?

Thanks!

--John S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of tree and

o

JSteger,
That tree is definitely not a mamey sapote tree. The leaves look similar in shape but they are different. Did you buy the tree as a mamey sapote?

o

For those of you that like to sprout seeds from store bought fruit - I have a baby Mamey growing now. I sprouted the seed from a Mamey I bought at the local Hispanic grocery store. The fruit didn't have the great flavor I remember from eating it years ago in Puerto Rico but I like to sprout things so I did and thats how I ended up with a baby Mamey. I store citrus and tree ferns in a large hoophouse out in the garden here is zone 7 Raleigh NC. I placed the Mamey seedling out there this winter because I just didn't have the room inside the house. Its doing just fine even though the nights inside the hoophouse have dipped into the mid 30's many nights in a row. I don't think they are as tender as others say. I doubt I will get fruit from it, nor will I be able to keep it after it gets over 10 feet tall but they are pretty plants none the less. I often shop the asian and hispanic markets just to find unusuall fruits to sprout.

o

Not sure of what the adult Mammey americana looks like (though the fruit is delicious), but I've seen adult Pouteria sapote up close (pics above). They are gorgeous! I had Mammey americana for a while as a containerized tree but it looks virtually identical to a Magnolia grandiflora (except the leaves don't have the attractive, cinnamon fuzzy undersides of most of the M. grandiflora cultivars). Pouteria has a very different, layered look. My Mammey americana did wonderfully for a few years then just suddenly shriveled up without warning.

o

Murahilin,

Thank you very much for replying... no, I didn't buy the tree, it was in the yard when we bought the house. A worker in the yard told me he recognized it as a Mamey sapote, and I looked it up in a book and it seemed to fit. Sheesh... so I wonder what the devil it is! If no one here knows, maybe I'll cut off a piece and take it to Pine Island Nursery here near Miami and see if anyone there knows. It is a beautiful tree, but I'd a fruiting tree.

--John S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of mystery tree

o

Does this tree bear fruit in a pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here