Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanna_run_faster

'Indian Mango'

wanna_run_faster
18 years ago

Does anyone have any Indian Mango seeds or seedlings for trade?

Comments (8)

• Stuartmc
    18 years ago

Today is the second, and last day of, the mango festival at the Fairchild tropical garden. I was trying to down there to purchase a "fairchild" variety and raise it in a canitainer but we got rained out :(. That's by far the best selection of the top varieties available. They're 35 (plus the entry fee ~15). I guess I'll have to be next year.

Good luck,
    Stuart

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Pine Island Nursery has grafted Mango trees available, including most of the "Curator's Choices" available from Fairchild Gardens. Cheaper price too.

I have 6 Mango trees from PI Nursery and all are healthy and growing well.

Buying a grafted tree will get you mangos within 1-2 years.
    Growing from seed will take much, much longer.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango varieties

• sunita
    18 years ago

I wonder just which variety you know as ' Indian mango' ? I'm from India where we are kind of mindlessly passionate about mangoes. We can spend days debating the qualities of x variety mango from North India versus y variety mango from South India.
    Guess what? There are close to a thousand varieties grown here! The Alphonso variety is famous here and so is the Blue mango from South India. There are so many more that I just feast on but dont know the names of : )
    As far as I know mangoes from India are not allowed into the USA. Dont know why, but from what I've heard from Indian friends who now live there, you're not getting the best varieties. Thats very sad if politics and red tape comes in the way of a great taste-bud sensation. Oh well, neither do we get the best varieties of apples or peaches...

• sunita
    18 years ago

Ooops! I feel so sheepish! I just read a news article about the mango festival in Florida. You're right, those are mangoes from India. I would go for the Alphonso and Neelam varieties if I were you.
    However, make sure that you're getting mangoes harvested before our monsoons started mid-June or you'll find that all the flavour has been washed out. Here no one buys mangoes once the monsoons set in because all you'll bite into is a watered down piece of soggy mush .

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sunita, that is exactly the information I was looking for! I must have read the same article but it didn't mention the specific varieties and "Indian", like you said, could cover many different things to many people! Now at least I have direction! Maybe I'll get lucky!

And thanks for the information about the harvesting...could you imagine my taking a bite of a post-monsoon mango and thinking 'this is the best mango in the world?' :)

• k_kosaraju_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Do anyone know the scientific name of indian mango variety name "Banginapalli" and "Chinna rasam". These varieties are very popular in south India. First one you can cut into pieces, Second one is juicy fruit.

• bunti
    16 years ago

Banganapally/Banginapalli is also called as 'Baneshan', 'Chaptai', 'Safeda'.

Please let me know anybody is having this plant.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Ediblelandscaping.com sells Indian mango called Mallika.It is a dwarf kind that can be grown in a container as well as indoor too.It is also known as Condo mango.