Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Rangoon Creeper

16 years ago

My Rangoon Creeper is growing well but I know nothing about it. Can I propagate it from cuttings? Will it self pollinate? Should I allow it to go dormant over the winter or should I keep it growing under HID lights? Any info would be appreciated.

Karyn

Comments (15)

• 16 years ago

I may be in error, but I don't think Rangoon Creeper will go dormant and come back in zone 7. I have had one in the greenhouse for 4 years and tried to propogate from cuttings before and failed. But I am sure someone else could do it, LOL.

• 16 years ago

I looked on the site at Rareflora and it says that it will go "semi-dormant" and will survive temps to the mid-20's "with protection". It can also be severely pruned and will come back readily in late winter/early spring so that is probably your best option. I already knew that there were 2 types, single and double (I have the single but been looking for the double for a long time)they say the single is "much easier to propagate".

• 16 years ago

I'm sorry I should have specified that it's a container plant and will be wintered over in the GH. I just wasn't sure whether it should be cut back and put in the unheated GH or in the heated GH under lights? I wanted to know if I could propagate it from cuttings. Now that it's in bloom a couple friends want one. Bihai Zone 9 has the double variety available. I buy from Bob often and have always been pleased.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone 9 Tropicals

• 16 years ago

Mine has been in the ground for 4 years. Survives temps in the low 20's but with a little damage. I cut mine back to green wood in the spring and away it goes.

Steve

• 16 years ago

I'd be afraid to leave it in the ground here. We have a number of days with single digit temps during the winter. It's also a moist cold that would probably cause the roots to rot even if they could withstand the cold temps. It sounds like it would be fine if I cut it back and keep it in the unheated GH. The temps remain above freezing and space will be limited in the heated GH so if it can go dormant I'd love to save space.
    Thanks,
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

The Rangoon Creeper I have was grown from cuttings. I potted the cuttings in local sandy soil and kept them moist. I had a very good success rate.

• 16 years ago

Thanks Bodiggly. I'll take a few and see if they root. It's a big enough plant to take several cuttings without making it look bad. Did you use any rooting hormones or just pop it in moist soil?
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Hi Karen,
    That's a pretty one. Is it fragrant? Speaking of zone9, I went and got the red jade vine lol! Couldn't resist! I just wanted to torture myself with buying more plants that probably hate 120 degrees and have to go in the garage in the winter! How's your green jade doing nowadays?
    ~SJN

• 16 years ago

You were the one that bought it!!!! I didn't even know he got them in and happened to be looking through his site for new stuff and saw it but they were sold out : ( I spoke with Bob the other day and he said he'd look around the GH and see if he had anymore hidden away. The RG flowers have a very light fragrance, nice but barely detectable. I haven't checked at night. Maybe it's stronger then? My green jade is growing like a weed and wrapping itself around anything it can get a hold of. I have to go out daily and unwrap it from other plants, downspouts, etc. I can't put up anything higher or wider for it to climb. It's going to be hell getting that plant in for the winter and I really don't want to cut it back. How is yours doing? I did get a vine that has a wonderful scent but is a moth (and possibly a butterfly) killer. It's a White Bladder flower (Araujia sericofera). I have to try and free the moths from the blooms every morning. I feel bad but really like this plant.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Karen,

I just stuck them in the moist soil. The cuttings were probably semi hard wood. I know they were not green, soft cuttings.

• 16 years ago

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll do the semi hardwood in a soil mix and I might try some soft stems in water with bottom heat. I'll post if it works. How long did it take for yours to develop a good root system?
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

karyn,
    Rangoon creeper sounds nice and maybe a little more hardy than some of these other tropicals.
    I didn't know they had the red jades in either :D, just happened to be on the site at the right time. There were only 2 in stock when I ordered mine. It looks sorta like the other one so far. Most of the leaves had fallen off due to our hot temps during delivery. The stems and roots look good so I think it will be okay. I am gonna have to wait until the weather cools down to order anything else. I just got a few new brugs in the mail and they did great even though it was like 116 that day! My green jade is in a pout. I keep misting it but it has stopped growing-It doesn't look bad~ just sorta sitting there. I have a feeling it is too hot and dry. I'd be pouting if I had to be out there 24/7 too lol. Wierd about the bladder vine killing all the moths. Is it toxic to people too or just bugs. Maybe I should get one to take up to the cabin, there are way too many moths there :)
    ~SJN

• 16 years ago

It's nectar is very attractive to the moths, another plant with a stronger evening fragrance but I don't believe the nectar is toxic. The foliage very well might be. It's a member of the milkweed family. I'm waiting to see if any monarchs lay eggs on it. I've heard that some members of the milkweed family are actually toxic to monarch cats. We'll see. Our temps have been in the 90's and low 100's but we have very high humidity so I guess the jade vine is liking that. I am getting some leaf scorch on foliage that has grown into places that aren't shaded by other plants but it just looks to be cosmetic, no real damage. I hope your temps cool down a bit. Temps over 100 are uncomfortable even when it's a dry heat.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

I had one in a corner of my garden, then decided to move it to another corner across my property. That was about a year ago. Since then I have been finding new plants of Rangoon creeper all over the original location. Turns out that they propagate through their roots. Since most of the roots have remained in the surrounding ground, the removal of the mother plant has triggered the remaining roots to throw up new plants. You might want to try to sever one of the roots, but leave it in the soil, and see if any new plant comes up via the severed root.

• 16 years ago

Yes, they can indeed grow from root cuttings. I've had success with all three methods: stem cuttings, root cuttings and seed. They tend to sucker a lot, so it's easy enough to dig out one of the suckers with roots attached and transplant that. Problem is I can't remember in what season/s I tried the different methods other than growing from seed, which needs warmth to germinate.

As for fragrance, there's been a discussion on this topic elsewhere in the forum. There seems to be two types: (1) a pleasantly fragrant type; and (2) a type that's mildly malodorous. Unfortunately, I seem to have the second. The first whiff seems pleasant--a bit like watermelon to me--but then it changes into something unpleasantly like sweat. I wondered if the seed-raised ones might not inherit that smell but, unfortunately, they've all become mixed up so I can't tell which are clones and which raised from seed. (They're too young to flower yet, and the drought here hasn't helped.)