Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabella__ma

Need lots of central american plants advice!

isabella__MA
12 years ago

I'm married to a Nica, and we will be planting on some property located at Las Penitas, Leon Department (i.e Pacific coast on the beach (but not beachfront property)). I need advice on what the agricultural zone is for this region, as I can't find out any information like an equivalent USDA ZONE or heat zone, so that I can start to identify plant material that can be used.

I consulted with the in-laws and observed plantings in the neighborhood houses and at the La Convencion Hotel (beautiful formal garden)in Leon. Varities of plam, "nornet's" (Nica name), bouganville, st. augustine grass, could be seen. Mangos, tamarind, avocado, banannas, plantains are tree choices. I'm from New England, so none of these plants are familiar to me!

I would like some other suggestions for plants and grass choices and a link to any on-line references for further consulting.

Plants that can be sited near a pool (without disrupting the pool and neighboring foundations and walls) are needed, as well as any fruiting trees.

I went to one nursery (actually a plants-mans home)to see what was available in Leon. Some interesting plants, and I was impressed when the nursery guy asked me what types of leave size and color I wanted. As I didn't speak the langauage and there were no plant tags, I could only remember the plants if I saw them again. A little frustrationg, but I would like to start filling out my landscape design plan and send it to the relative to get the planting started during this rainey season.

TIA!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!