Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery plant at the grocery store.

Posted by williamr 9b/10a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 22:47

When I was at the supermarket this evening I picked up this plant in a so-called "self watering pot". It has three dark green stems growing from large split green seeds. Has anybody else seen these for sale at stores recently? I will try to post of photo of it soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery plant at the grocery store.

How does one post a photo in a message?

o

Is it a Castanospermum australe?

Here is a link that might be useful: Castanospermum australe

o

Karyn1, it is!!! Wow, how did you know? If not for you, I probably would never have known what my plant is. Now to figure out how to grow it. Thanks again Karyn.

-Michael

o

Home Depot got in several Castanospermum's, and price isn't bad. Got mine June 6th.
Although they're interesting, they're difficult over-wintering.

Bean7-13-10

Bean-2-7-13-10

o

It's also called Morten Bay Chestnut and Black Bean tree. The only reason I knew what it was was because I bought a couple seeds at Disney World last winter. They called it some screwy made up name so I contacted the company that sold them and asked for the proper name.

o

Mine is doing extremely well indoors so far, putting on new growth, etc. This is surprising for a sun-loving tree from the tropics. I'm glad you went to the trouble of finding out this tree's true identity. I googled the nursery's name on the tag of mine and found nothing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here