Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea

Posted by Littlefield2002 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 0:16

I need help with my Bougainvillea
Plant. I live in south Texas and no matter what I do (water don't water fertilize/don't fertilize) my leaves always look sad and droopy. My plants still bloom but the leaves seem very stressed. They are planted in the ground. I planted them about 6 months ago. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea

A few questions...

1.) Does your soil drain, or does it have a tendency to stay wet?

2.) Was the soil it came potted in, peaty? It's possible that you may think you are watering your plant but the soil your plant came in is not holding on to water. Peat moss soils are notorious for this--especially when exposed to hot, sunny conditions.

I would take it out of the ground, loosen up that root ball some so roots are not girdled and replant.

Don't feed until it looks happier if at all.--these plants do great in arid, low fertility soils.

o
RE: Bougainvillea

They don't need alot of water. Half strength fertilizer. Poor variety? Mine grew like crazy when I lived down south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here