Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

Curry Tree Fruits

Eggo
18 years ago

Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from this tree? I'm trying to figure out when the best time to pick the berries for seed germination. It's slightly red right now, but I guess its suppose to turn completely red and then black(is that the best time). Anyone ever tasted the fruit? I've heard its suppose to be very sweet but has some odd overtones.

Comments (24)

• ashok_ncal
    18 years ago

Eggo,

I've tasted curry-leaf tree fruits -- "sweet, but with odd overtones" covers the taste pretty well. The berries have peculiar, resinous flavor-notes, and I would guess that most people would care to sample no more than one or two, as a novelty.

As GATrops says, wait until the fruits turn purple/black, and then plant the seeds immediately. Don't let them dry out.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the replies GAtrops and Ashok. I was planning to mail some out to some of our fellow GWebbers but it looks like it probably got about another month to go or so. I'll give the fruit a try when it turns black. It seems to have very thin flesh.

• virgilevetts
    18 years ago

Do the plants grow from cuttings? Ive never seen seeds here but sprigs of leaves are available fresh from some fruit shops

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried rooting some cuttings before but I wasn't successful. I have to say I really didn't put much effort into it though. Sometimes they are propagated from rooted suckers. I really don't see why its not possible to root cuttings. Leaves has a nice fragrance and with some dishes it makes all the difference.

• ashok_ncal
    18 years ago

Virgilevetts,

I'm not sure whether this tree can be propagated via stem cuttings. Most web-references mention propagation via either seed, sucker, or root cutting.

There would obviously be no harm in trying to root cuttings. However, all the curry-leaf "sprigs" that I've seen for sale here in the U.S. have been bundles of single leaves. These pinnate leaves superficially resemble stem cuttings, but lack the buds necessary for the formation of roots, new growth, etc.

So make sure that you are buying actual stem cuttings with pinnate leaves attached. The fresh product may be sold that way in N.Z., for all I know.

If all you buy are leaves, all they'll be good for is cooking -- which would still be a very worthwhile use, of course!

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The leaves I see here are usually sold the same way also with no stems.

• vidnand
    14 years ago

Hi,

I live in bay area. I am looking for some seeds/cuttings/seedlings. Pls. lemme know if any of you can share some with me. I can pick it up in person if it near SFO bay area or pay for S&H.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

• vidnand
    14 years ago

Hi,

I live in bay area. I am looking for some seeds/cuttings/seedlings. Pls. lemme know if any of you can share some with me. I can pick it up in person if it near SFO bay area or pay for S&H.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

• deneciepie
    14 years ago

I also live up near SF Bay area. If anyone knows of a place to get curry leaf tree starts up here I would sure like to get one!

DeneciePie
    Tracy, CA

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

Reagans nursey in Fremont had them last year. This year I havent seen any-wouldn't hurt to call and ask if you could order one. They were large bushy plants too.

• nostalgian
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I live in MD. I am looking for some seeds/plant. Please let me know if any of you can share some. I am having a hard time finding these.

I can pay for S&H.

Thanks a lot
    Nidhi

• i_am_georgev_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I may have a few plants for sale this summer. Contact me via email if interested.

• chaman
    13 years ago

You may contact Sushilapatel55@yahoo.com for Curry leaf trees as well as Tindora roots.

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

In Sri Lanka, where I used to live, the curry leaves were frequently sold on markets for culinary use. It is used in a similar bay to bay leaf ie. for flavoring but not for direct comsumption. I never saw the fruit being sold. Sri Lankans will sell almost anything! Both bay and curry tree fruit is TOXIC and should not be consumed directly. - Ian.

• vidnand
    9 years ago

Hi Eggo,
    We recently moved to torrance, CA. I am desperately looking for curry plant saplings, seeds or even cuttings. It will be great if you can spare one for me. Thanks in advance.

Vidyaa

• PRO
    Klink Catering
    9 years ago

I love eating the ripe berries, not the seeds of course. Can anyone tell me more about the berries. A youngish Indian woman told me that they are good for general health, to eat two or three a day. I love them so much I could eat more but won't. Would love to know more about it!

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

The Curry Bush is EASILY propagated from clippings! let the seeds ripen before planting.

• Maria Palma
    6 years ago

Klink l love eating it it's the best berries you can eat as much as you like I always do love it

• Mohamed Firoskhan
    6 years ago

Can anybody explain about curry berries health benefits

• Renuka Priyadarshini
    6 years ago

I am looking to buy curry leaf plants. We live in north east , coming to Florida for a week in September, 2017.

pls can anyone tel where in Orlando someone sells the curry leaf plants.

thanks

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

I'm amazed that anyone wants the stuff. I found that I'm being over run with it as it looks like birds are bringing seed in. It's germinating all over the place. Can't stand the smell of it and after I pull small plants out I have to wash my hand. Unfortunately you can't completely wash all the smell out.

• gardenialvr
    6 years ago

If anyone would like seeds, just email me. My plant is in fruit.

• Dana Malas
    4 years ago

My plant is also in fruit, Orange County, CA