Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Syngonanthus chrysanthus 'Mikado' soil, care

Posted by ururk z6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 7:28

I bought a Mikado about 3 weeks ago, and it has been doing fine outside. 3 new blooms are growing up, so I feel I've not killed it. My last Mikado, well... I didn't know how to take care of it and neither did the place I originally bought it from.

I need to bring it in the house for the fall in a month or so, and feel I should also repot it in a slightly (not much more) larger pot. What soil type should I use? I've seen a couple of things on the web:

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/nature_200_140.htm

and that site lists 'Acid compost' but I'm unsure what to use. The soil in the pot does not look like regular potting soil - it is a bit spongey. Also, a green moss has started to grow.

Also... about watering...

I've been watering it from the bottom every couple of days as the soil gets less moist. I haven't let it dry out, and I'm wondering if I can just leave the pot sitting in water, or if that will cause root rot.

There are so few details about this plant, but I really want it to last this time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here