Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Alocasia & Colocasia

ladylotus
9 years ago

I have a dozen or so different varieties of Alocasia & Colocasia and am wondering if I bring them into my greenhouse where I keep the temperatures at 42 - 45 deg F. Would they go dormant or will they continue to grow?

If they go dormant, can I just leave them in the pots and let the potting soil go dry?

Please advise on how I can get them to survive the winter in my greenhouse. Thank you.

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Do you know what species you have? If I had the same question, I would ask on the Aroid forum.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

At that temp they will continue to grow as far as I know, but I agree with purple post your question over in the aroid forum for the best answers.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will post on the Aroid forum. Thank you all for your responses.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

lotus, i am in z.5 boston. I bring in my pots of them and put them in my windowless 60 degree cellar for the winter. they sleep. I bring the pots outside in may and they begin to show themselves in july iirc. always a surprise because i can be very remiss with labeling pots!

let me mention that i have succeeded w/ COLOcasias this way and i'm not sure about ALOcasias (though i did notice 2 alocasia babies popping up just the other day- end of August! (same location in full sun as the colocasias.)

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you arbo. I am assuming you do not provide them with water and you let the soil dry out?

Purple...I have the following plants:
    Colocasia 'Puckered Up'
    Colocasia 'Pink China'
    Colocasia 'Elena'
    Colocasia 'Dragon Heart'
    Colocasia 'Black Ruffles'
    Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii'
    Colocasia 'Maui Gold'
    Colocasia 'Cranberry Stem'
    Colocasia 'Nancyana'
    Alocasia 'Portora'
    Alocasia 'Lauterbachiana'
    Alocasia 'Boa'

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

yes, ll, that's what i do. Nothing!
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

ll, where do you get yours? i have rcvd mine from Brent and Becky's and a tropicals place in Fl.that must be a bit more 'mom and pop' because they didn't include an invoice or any labels (gee, i WONDER why i can't remember their name?!) and were pretty low priced.
    mindy

p.s. i went through SW ND on my cross country camping trip in 1978. Beautiful country.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

I'm guessing my 2nd vendor was Fla. Hill; i just found them and Wellspring and Brian's on the web.i don't know if any of them are in the top vendors on the dave's watchdog list.
    best,
    mindy
    when do you usually see your first snow?

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arbo,

I got some of mine from a nursery in TX when I was on vacation. I also ordered some from an eBay seller called Wellspring. All are doing very well in 7 gallon pots thus far.

ND is a nice state. However, it is beginning to get really busy with all the oil wells and various people moving into our state. Oh well, hopefully the oil rush will get old and we will resume having a nice quiet little town.

We usually get snow in October and it melts by April. I just spent the entire evening moving all my tropicals into my greenhouse. So sad that the summer is almost over.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

That's quite a list of plants! If I had any experience with them, I'd share it here. Sorry, I don't, but didn't want to not respond. If my Colocasia esculenta has a cultivar name, it was lost in the 90's.

I'm at the frustrating edge of hardiness for most of these, so have decided I don't want to try bringing them in, or spend $ on something not reliably hardy outside. Just a tropical wannabe in a temperate world! Best of luck!!