Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouganvilla advice, please

Posted by cereza28 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 10:59

This was my bouganvilla last year. I bought it in a little street stall in Bristol (UK) and it seemed quite happy for a few weeks. It was pot bound, so I repotted it in the autumn and brought it indoors. It lost all its leaves and it has not really recovered this year.
What should I do now? Prune it to the base? Leave it well alone? I will bring it indoors again when the whether turns cold.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouganvilla advice, please

This is my bouganvilla now...

o

Turns out bourgainvillia prefers being somewhat root bound (some plants are like that). They need full, unobstructed sun and warmth to do best. If you want to help your plant, do NOT overwater it nor feed it at this point. Keep it in a sunny window and only water when dry. This plant can easily go semi deciduous or beyond and refoliate perfectly fine. Mine never flowers in the summer as I have it outside and it gets regular watering (rain, hose, etc.). I bring it to work, put it in a sunny, east window, forget to water it mostly, and it blooms all winter like clockwork. (I do realize your winters are are rather dark so maybe artificial light might be helpful during those months.) This plant thrives best in sunny, tropical, semi-arid conditions...too wet and it will only grow leaves at best.

o

Thank you for this. Do you know if if prunning the top would improve the shape of the plant by encouraging side shoot growth?

o

If it's not growing, pruning the top off will only make it a shorter non-growing plant. They like fairly extreme heat and fairly extreme sun. Make sure that drip tray under the pot doesn't contain any water. They're one plant that will decline with mollycoddling.

o

And they are quite fussy about their roots; try not to disturb them.

I had a huge one in the San Francisco area--we didn't have hot summers, and it was in a partly-sunny area. It grew up to the roof, about 20 feet.

Then the trellis collapsed, and I had to cut it way back. It regrew nicely, until we painted the house. It regrew again, but we had a rare hard freeze and lost it all together. Poor thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here