Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenscents

Orange Jasmine not blooming

gardenscents
13 years ago

I have an orange jasmine (murraya panniculata) that I dug up from my yard in Florida 3 years ago and brought to South Carolina. It is potted and brought inside for the winter and has never bloomed. It is about 4 feet tall and about 5 years old (grown from seed that a bird dropped). I give it good light in the winter (in my glassed in garden room), put it next to the lemon trees for comfort, and pretty much treat it like I do the other tropicals I have. I also have a 12" orange jasmine I bought online that blooms constantly. I put them together so the big one would know what it's supposed to do. Now what? It gets fed, watered, full sun from April to October - nothing. Any suggestions are welcome, including the compost pile...It really needs to be cut back because it is sprawling, but if there are dormant flower buds, I hate to start cutting!

Comments (11)

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Each seed started plant has its own unique characteristics which may be quiet different from its parent plant, it might be possible it will never bloom ...being sterile..!!!

4 feet is quiet a height as most of Murraya paniculata which I grew from seeds started blooming when about 4".

Pruning has a very positive effects on blooms, we prune the murrayas two to three times in the summers in order to have more blooms.

Following is the procedure that we do, if our plants are getting big with a healthy growth and no or less flowering:

1) Till the space around the roots to 4 inches depth or a little less

2) Don't water the plant until it start showing wilting, water it thoroughly after it

3) Let the soil/medium to dry and repeat the procedure again

4) Start watering normally after the second tilling

We do this for our Jasmines, Hibiscuses, Tomatoes, Chrysanthemums etc, actually this process stresses the plant a bit causing it to reproduce (bloom) in order to survive and once it does start blooming, you can prune some branches so the new shoots emerge, you have observed that the blooms appear on the tip of new shoots only.

We grow organically & use only composted manure as fertilizer as it works with every plant, but you can use a liquid fertilizer with a high middle and/or last numbers like 15-30-15 or 10-30-20.

One more thing..... are you sure the plant is a Murraya paniculata?? can you post its pics?

Izhar

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks Izhar - I can't figure out how to post pictures, but I'll try. The leaves are identical to the small one I planted in the same pot with the large one - small one blooms constantly. Also, in Florida we had a hedge of orange jasmine that bloomed constantly and this one popped up from "somewhere" - probably birds. I dug it up and brought it to SC in a pot. It's been repotted twice since (3 years). Can I till in a pot and follow your directions? I'll try anything! At what point do I give up? After the tilling and drying, should I cut it back?

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Yes it can be easily done in pots too, just take care not to go deep and limit the tilling when you come in contact with roots, exposing them a bit.. to be on a safer side you can wait for at least three weeks after the process, once the new shoots become 2-3 inches, you can trim them or if possible just pinch the growing tips, promoting branching and consequently blooming..

I have learned that seed started Murraya paniculata (known as Kaamni here) bloom after on an average 4 months of germinating, I have always sown its seeds in the spring.

For the pictures hit the link..

Izhar

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post pictures

• threas
    13 years ago

Great info, Izhar! Thanks! I'm going to follow your advice to get mine to bloom! :)

Theresa

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

You are welcome Theresa :)

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So - I'm on my second tilling waiting for the soil to dry. After I water again - how long do I "wait" before I learn if it will bloom or not (or put in compost pile)! Our temperature range is in the 90s/60s at least for a couple more weeks. Hope this works! Thanks izhar!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

You are most welcomed.. :) as I mentioned in my earlier post that 3 weeks "wait" would be a better option before composting.. well it works for us and hope it does for you..

Happy gardening...

Izhar

• new_comer
    13 years ago

I live in Sydney and have the same problem with my Murraya. It's about three years old and I am using it as a hedge in front of the bedroom window. I have trimmed it several times in the past but it has never bloom, apart from a few spot flowering int the past, it has not flower much at all. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?.

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did all of the above - still not blooming! I cut it way back before bringing it inside for the winter - lots of nice new leaves. I have planted the fresh seeds from the plant I got from Logees that turned red this winter and have 1 seedling....I have heard that they can take 3 years to bloom from being planted from a seed. Anyone else hear that?

• nat9butter
    13 years ago

Garden Scents

the seeds from the Logees form(via University of
    Connecticut, I think) will often bloom very young. Even
    small 2-4 inch plants. That's how the Logees plants
    are propagated in the first place. They send out more than
    one seedling in a pot.

Hope this helps.
    Nate

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I finally got my own seeds from the plant I bought from Logees which blooms mostly all the time. So the seeds from that plant are up and we'll see. Soon I won't need the transplanted one at all!