Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michelia 'Champaca'

Posted by bigbubbacain z8 TX (bigbubbacain@aol.com) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 13:42

I recently acquired a Michelia 'Champaca' tree. I am told it is related to the Magnolia. Can anyone advise me on fertilizer requirements / growing conditions to plant this tree?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michelia 'Champaca'

Well, needs a lot of drainage, because it root rots easy. Needs probably near full sun where you are, and doesn't like frosts. But, I found that as long as you give it good drainage, it likes decent watering. And the smell is just lovely! :o)

o

Thanks Heathen1 for your reply.
What about fertilizer? When does it bloom? Also, I've noticed 2 very different looking buds on the tree. Are some of these leaf buds and some flower buds?

o

• Posted by Cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 18:54

I`d give it some afternoon shade if you are in a place that gets hot and dry in the summer.

o

• Posted by poiu 10a (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 20:42

I don't believe Michelia champaca is hardy in zone 8 at all! They can be protected outdoors in zone 9b, but usually they survive successfully in zone 10 or higher.

They like rich soil for sure, I'd recommend you put it in a patio container and bring into a sheltered locale over winters there. Use a good SLOW RELEASE fetilizer with trace minerals. Do they sell any cycad or palm fertilizers there?

Here in so. Florida it flowers off and on year round, with heaviest flushes in april or May and fairly good blooming here in the warm months.

o

hi,i need knowldge for micheli champaka. i am in ny. how much water, which soil and which weather will be ok. how much sun need?
thanks.

o

My champaca is a seedling but it's in full Florida sun and seems to love it. My Alba has been flowering almost continuously since I got it in the spring. Also in full (and very hot) sun, high humidity in a container. I water only when dry and fertilized it once with orchid bloom booster. Both these trees are spectacular! My neighbor has a champaca in the ground and I can't believe how quickly it is growing.

o

I have a Magnolia champaca that is 2 years old. It is a strong tree that is about 14 feet tall and 8 feet wide.

I am in South Florida and the tree has a south west exposure with a fair amount of direct sun for about 5 hours per day.

It has not yet flowered.

Any tips on getting the Magnolia champaca to flower?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here