Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexisreal

High Density Gardening Downtown Houston

alexisreal
10 years ago

A few pics of this summers garden, in the heart of houston. Mango trees, avocado trees, grapes , bananas, oranges , lemons , papaya, peppers , tomatoes , flowers , coconut trees, jack fruit tree , and much more in a very small space .

Comments (241)

• morkhandesigns
    6 years ago

Yellow Plumeria!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    5 years ago

I wouldn't dig up BOP,GBOP,or Hibiscus rosa sinensis,Oleande,r as those are plenty hardy and as you see,come back from the roots and tubers. Hibiscus will be very fast.

I wouldn't count on a frozen Plumeria to do the same.

But, in Houston you might get Ficus to make a strong comeback. Anything shrubby and might have had piled up soil at the base of the trunk keep the plant alive. Schefflera is another that can do that.

Wait and see.

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

In Nola rubber ficus and fiddle leaf figs along with scheffelera were common. Here in 9a/8b they aren’t too well of performers I hear. Also my yellow lab has been chewing on my century plant for the past month. Brought her to the vet and she’s fine. She also chewed up my Madagascar palm (I don’t see how she wasnt hurt), variegated pandanus, and my last plumeria cutting.... at least she pays no attention to my 5 sagos

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Raised bed project! Planted oregano and mint , hoping they fill in soon!

5 years ago

I get it Mork. I have so little room,I have my one T-mater with a Zuke in a redwood pot 8"x8" x4'. First time trying Zucchini in a planter box.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Stan, have you tried any more coconut palms lately ?

5 years ago

No more. They grow too slow in summer ( one or two fronds per summer) and by mid winter..the overall chill gets them. Indoors? a Pain in the asp. Mealys,dry air..or a too cloudy winter indoors get them too. I have King Palms and an old Howea for that look outdoors.

Even the Conservatory in SF cant keep them in a greenhouse for very long. They stretch out and die.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

5 years ago

Really nice color on the Euphorbia. I like that.

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

My rubber ficus that survived 13 degrees

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Wonderful ! How long was it that cold for and was it protected ?

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

2 nights of 13/14 degrees, 4 nights of 15-18, and 7 nights above 20 but below 32 (I believe, I might be wrong). And it just had a small layer of oak leaves over it, so it was sorta protected. The pothos, spider plant, and Arizona yellow bells next to it survived too.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Guava and cactus blooms!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

If anyone can provide feedback, would appreciate. Our royal poinciana froze this winter we had two very cold days...interestingly mangos faired better. Anyhow,I was thinking of removing but it appears the roots are green, moist,and still alive. Will be t come back?

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Here’s the base, dead above ground but roots under are green and moist

5 years ago

With Poinciana,its not dead until its dead. It can comeback low...or it wont. Only time will tell. If its not broken bud in a few weeks? It probably died. Mine did that for three years..then the third year it never came back. All the winters were probably the same..its just on the edge all the time out of 10b.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Thanks ! Will give it more time

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

One of the largest oleanders I have ever seen!

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

I bought a Persian lime from Lowes. Do you know the hardiness? I’m zone 9a, so will it have to say in a pot? Growing up here in central Louisiana my uncle had a key lime for about 10 years in the ground until it died from an early cold snap. Also a family friend’s Meyers lemon tree is coming back. It’s about 10 feet tall and died half way back.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

I think those are less hardy than Meyers. But key limes are also sensitive so if those survived then you’re probably ok

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

This plumeria leaf is giant! As big as my whole arm !

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

Washingtonia palm in a courtyard in my town is showing some new growth

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Good news ! That was a close call!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Some nice sight seeing running around the neighborhood today

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

5 years ago

Nice comeback Mork-- just add some water feature..fountain,little pond or even an aquarium will do.

Guess what I'm doing?..wink.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Keep us updated and share when done Stan!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Wanted to share the progress of the mango trees planted outdoors. Here is a shot looking down,

hey are coming back nicely after this winter!

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

I’m landscaping around my pool this summer. I want some tibouchinas, a jacaranda, and a bismarck palm. Can these survive high teens every 5 or so years? I think tibouchinas can, but I have no clue about jacaranda or Bismarck palms. This is my first year gardening in a zone 9a/8b environment. Also any zone 9a bougainvillea?

5 years ago

Tibo's wont survive that. Jacaranda might...after its cut down to the ground by that kind of cold. Where they live in areas that freeze often? They never flower..just foliage.

Bizmarckia thats a few years old might take a rare high teen. I would bet on that to grow normal of all those listed. Protect it and of course it does even better.

Jacarandsa is kind of messy for a poolside tree. Pods,leafs,stems..something is falling on them most of the year.

If you dont care,try that new extra red Albizia that's now being sold. Its a close to a fully hardy Royal Delonix there is.

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

Thank you! The LSU ag center has tibouchinas as hardy plants in my area, so that’s a bummer. I wouldnt mind the mess jacarandas would make, in Nola I had 3 live oaks around my pool, so I’m use to cleaning messes of leaves and other debris. But if it won’t flower then I’ll forget that. Bismarcks grew well in Nola so I’m gonna try that. And I’ll check out the albizia.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Wild pomegranate houston...not sure the kind but it’s fruiting!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Is this a noni fruit tree? I brought it back from a tiny sprout while on Hawaii but am not sure what it is

5 years ago

I would say so. Very tender. Sounds like Breadfruit or Lipstick palms..below 40f might as well be -400 to them. But!..thats just me on what I read. In real life in hot Houston it might have a chance.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

I think I am an official plant hoarder..watching the sun set from a different angle today!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Plumeria in bloom

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Only one lonesome peach this year !

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

I took a cutting off a plumeria obtuse in Hawaii, after seven months, it finally started showing leaves and a flower spike , it looked dormant that long! This variety has shiny leaves.

5 years ago

I've had P.obtusum about 4 years outdoors in a pot. In that time its had great growth spurts...and then in winter,twice its been really setback. Never flowered but like you say- big glossy leaves.

Congrats MORK. Those hot Houston summers make a difference again.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Hi Stan, what is the typical summer weather like in San Francisco? We’re approaching 100 degrees weather all week this week.

5 years ago

I'm on the opposite side of the bay where summers are warmer. On average right now every day is in the 75-80f with lows around 60f. S.F. famously cool summers tend to be 65f-70f with lows all summer in the mid to upper 50's.

Today,80f in Hayward,65f for a HIGH temp in San Francisco. S.F. does Mork have one advantage- winters are a frost free 10b. I get only 10a winters. Some years for me are frost free,but not most..so far.

Houston summers are more like the Central Valley in Northern California..near 100 all deep summer until September. Stockton to Sacramento to Red Bluff have blazingly hot summers..but low humidity.

• Jacob Dickens
    5 years ago

bird of paradise and bougainvillea are back to blooming again in New Orleans.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Great news Jacob!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

What are these fruits?, found this tree growing on an abandoned lot near the street

5 years ago

Persimmons. Asians love them. One type is hard and crunchy and the other- the one I like- gets very soft and sweet inside.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

I think I want to rescue this tree, a developer is raising the land ...there is also an old avocado tree there!

5 years ago

They are not evergreen..so if you work out something for around December,it would be much more likely to take any amount of root cutting and top pruning..then replant and wait for spring.

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

• morkhandesigns
    5 years ago

Today we got to pick pomegranates!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville