Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High Density Gardening Downtown Houston

Posted by alexisreal none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 13:49

A few pics of this summers garden, in the heart of houston. Mango trees, avocado trees, grapes , bananas, oranges , lemons , papaya, peppers , tomatoes , flowers , coconut trees, jack fruit tree , and much more in a very small space .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High Density Gardening Downtown Houston

Lemon

o

Mango fruiting!

o

Plumeria

o

Papaya

o

Coconut palm

o

Valencia orange

o

Banana with mangos in the background

o

Grapes

o

Jackfruit tree alongside papaya

o

Tomatoes o

o

Amaryllis

o

Larger coconut palm

o

And these babies getting along fine, jack fruit tree,mango, avocado, lemon all sharing small space.

o

Beautiful, healthy, yummy plants! Great job!

Just a quick tip - take your photos in landscape (turn your phone sideways, bottom to the right) and you will never have orientation issues.

Carol

o

Thanks Carol! Will do!

o

High density tropical garden update coming soon!!!

o

This is what the garden looked like , taken mid March 2014... More to come just harvested the first papaya!

o

How does high density gardening actually work? How do you prevent the roots from tangling with each other or the foliage from competing for sunlight?

o

More!

o

Tokyo, with high density I just feed them more organic fertilizer and heavy in compost. Also. Some of the selected plants prefer shade (orchids and bromeliads).

o

Bouganvillea

o

Hey alex! Nice job!! I see how you can say that your nam doc mai and julie can make it through the winter without protection! Was that your julie fruiting in the pic? Are you truly downtown amidst the skyscrapers or in midtown? Lighting not an issue?

o

We are in EaDO (east downtown) , so not between the buildings. The plants get pretty good sunlight. Yes, that was the Julie mango fruiting last year before I planted it in the ground. It's currently putting out new leaves and branches. The Carrie mango also, and there's a malika mango with baby fruit on it. I'll take close ups and post.

o

Hey alex! Good to hear from you! I bet you get plenty of the morning sun being east of the scrapers... im barely in west houston city limits where the challenges are the shed blocking the morning sun and the neighbor's oak and flowering pear one lot over westward. Have good sunshine from about 10-11am til 7-8pm except in winter. Will post the mango jungle i have in the back soon. I just couldnt get to sleep so here i am in the wee hours posting lol.
Til next time!

o

Excellent work Alex !! This fall I'm moving into West U. Very little sun. It looks like I have to leave behind or give away most of my tropicals and sun loving plants. What is your method of protecting from hard frost?

o

How are your mangoes and other tropical fruits this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here