Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange looking tree what is it?

Posted by plantnut65 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:55

This tree, or whatever it is, was growing under the deck of the trailer in the picture, he had no idea of what it was or where it came from. I took a piece of the plant while my neighbor was trying to eradicate it. I pulled up and cut off a piece of the root, and planted it at the edge of my garden, this is its second year, and this year, what I though was something like a elephant plant, grew to where it is now. While under the deck, it is limited to how it grows, but the leaves are twice as big as anything on my tree. I know it grows fast, because he has cut the little part you can see twice, from June.

Does anybody know what I have, the neighbor has always cut his off at the ground till the year I got my cutting, he hasn't had any luck getting rid of it. I'm worried that I might need to do some eradicating myself. Thanks for some help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange looking tree what is it?

Hard to tell for sure from the pic.
Paulownia maybe????

o

It looks a little like a Catalpa tree that I have.

o

This is the second year and there have been no blooms or seed strings, just leaves.

Last year it looked like it was going to be a large bush

Here's a close up of the leaves

o

Can't see an individual leaf clearly in these pics. By comparing the veins in the leaf to reliable pics of both, you should be able to decide between Paulownia (exotic invasive) and Catalpa (native.) If you would like to add another pic showing the leaf veins, please do.

o

bottom (underside) of a large leave about 15 inches across

o

topside of a smaller leaf and shows a bug that's probably eating on this plant. Also the leaves have a velvety feel on both sides, more on top.

I Goggled the two plants that purpleinopp said I think it looks like both, only the Paulownia (exotic invasive) definitely has points at the end of the veins, where this tree has only a few leaves the have the points at the veins on the leave and not on all the veins.

o

looks like Bingabing, an invasive species common around here. Gets maybe 30' tall
Macaranga mappa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here