Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theseventhlegend

Bird Of Paradise - problems

theseventhlegend
16 years ago

I have a White Bird Of Paradise that is growing really well but lately the new leaves are coming out torn. They also look a bit discolored (at first). It may be normal in this heat or it may be not enough water, too much water, or lack of vitamins. The ground is mulched around it and it stays mostly in full sun all day. Anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

A pic does wonders if diagnosing a problem.

Do you water alot?? You said it is in full sun?? It is common for the wind to rip new leaves.

Do you use fertilizer??

I have a White Bird planted in full sun in the sand. The area dries out during the day. It is trucking right along. Slow tho. I fertilize and water it once a week. More if we aren' t getting rain.

The other one I have is plantd against the back of the house. Get afternoon sun. The washer drains in the area as the pipe overflows. The soil seems really fertile there.

When we the dry season comes, I will be otting both of them up. The house we are in is a rental. The lease ends in Jan.

Hope this helps you some.

Tropcialfreak

• theseventhlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do not water a lot. I think just enough. The ground is mulched. Yes, mostly full sun until late evening (7 pm till). Wind can sometimes stir it up but it's parked next to my driveway and I park a car next to it... which protects it from the wind. Plus 2 house and trees sheild from strong wind. Added some Miracle Grow to the flower bed about a month ago. This problem had already begun before then.

Here are some pics. Notice the new leaf coming out torn and even brown on the tips. Color of new leaf was a bit more pale when it was first coming out but now getting some pigment. Height is about 4 ft.

{{gwi:1314236}}

{{gwi:1314237}}

{{gwi:1314238}}

• topher2006
    16 years ago

humidity ?

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

i have seen this following a heavy dose of fertilizer, my guess is that low level but steady nutrition may work better for BOP

• theseventhlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have an Orange BOP that isn't having this problem so I'm not sure it could be humidity... although it may have different requirements thatn my White BOP. I fertilized a little over a month now. Since the plant still seems to be growing and generaly healthy I think I'll wait and see what happens. Xerophyte - Maybe it is too much fertilizer and if so the effects should decline in about a month.

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

do you use liquid fertilizer? because with it, it is easy to over-fertilize with too high a concentration of food.

slow-release granules are the way to go.

• theseventhlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do use granules. It's aclimated in full sun and I didn't have this problem before... unless the plant can't take high heat?

• edleigh7
    16 years ago

As stated wind is the cause of ripped leaves. As for the discoloured leaf I wouldn't worry too much, mine has the same problem from time to time and mine is 10ft tall and flowering. I only fertilize with granules once a year. Good Luck

Ed