Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senjanevada

Voodoo Lily needs help

senjanevada
10 years ago

My voodoo lily seem to stop growing. The leaves edges turned to yellowish and brownish.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

They will die back at the end of summer., depending on how soon the cold arrives. Yours might be getting ready to turn in for the winter. When they do go dormant it's important to keep them pretty dry.

• senjanevada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. So, I don't need to worry.

This is my first time growing Voodoo lily. In fact, one more bulb still in the water to roots.

I am in High-desert, pretty much dry here.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Do you have them sitting in water? That wouldn't be a good idea. They are more drought tolerant than they are flood tolerant. Keep the potting mix moist but not wet otherwise you'll end up rotting the tuber. If your season is still warm enough for growing then that yellow/brown could be from too much water. When the weather does get colder then yes, you can expect the foliage to dry off like that. Once the plant does die off keep the tuber dry until it starts to shoot next season. People usually take the tubers out of the soil and put them in a cool (not cold) dry cupboard or on a shelf.

• senjanevada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I root them in the bowl of water before transfer them in the pot. The pots are dry. We are here in the High Desert, no rain at all this year (yet)

I have one more tube that did not show any growth. I took it from the pot and put it back in bowl of water. It grows bunch of roots in few days, and ready to transfer back to the pot.

• wrog
    8 years ago

I am growing my first voodoo lily and am also in the high desert. I am wondering where the best place to grow it is. I'm afraid it's too arid outside and the plant will burn in the dry heat of summer (and spring) but I'm growing it indoors where it tends to lean toward the light from the windows. Can anyone provide advice about growing them outdoors in a hot, dry climate rather than indoors? I'd like to move it outside but don't want to kill it. I've live in zone 6b.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

Grow it in shade where it gets very bright light but not direct sun.

• wrog
    8 years ago

I guess I'll need to keep it indoors, I'm in a fairly new house and shade is almost nonexistent in my yard due to the lack of mature trees. I've been rotating the pot to try to keep the plant grow in a straight manner. I didn't see when this one flowered this year but the plant is now 4-5 feet tall, about 2-3 feet in the past week, but the top is still bunched up and hasn't unfolded. How long does it take before it unfurls and looks more like a tree rather than a hand/arm reaching out the soil?

• wrog
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think I'll just leave it indoors. We've had record breaking heat the past few days which means single-digit humidity and it's not letting up soon. I have it by my patio doors so it gets a lot of light and it seems to be doing well other than the leaning so I rotate it a couple times a day since it starts leaning. The top is spreading out and it's taller than me now (six+ footer). When I got the bulb/corm/tuber (whichever it is) I never expected it to be so tall.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

A bulb has layers, like an onion. A corm is actually a stem that stores plant food and the roots come out from a basal plate at the bottom. A tuber doesn't have layers, nor a basal plate. That's a basic view of the differences, there's more to it than just that of course.

Below 30% humidity is getting quite dry so single digits will stress the plant especially with higher temperatures. You're doing the right thing keeping it out of direct sun.

• angela branson
    2 years ago

My Voodoo lilly has stopped grow and leaves are turning yellow and brown and have a sticky film on them. I am in the peak of summer and humidity is around 50% to 70%. I had them on my patio for the early part of the summer then brought them in before it it 100° outside. What's wrong with them