Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for Mussaenda, Strelitzia

Posted by nealzibub CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 16:17

Does anyone know of a commercial [or otherwise?] source for Mussaenda erythrophylla? Also, looking for Strelitzea juncea. I'd love to try it in San Diego CA!
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for Mussaenda, Strelitzia

Strelitzea juncea can be grown pretty quickly from seed if you can't find a source for plants.

I got some Strelitzea juncea seed from a website in Germany. The seed had a very high germination rate. The seeds were planted in the spring and the seedlings are already about 4 or 5 inches tall.

BTW they don't develop the spear-like leaves until they are a few years old. Right now the seedlings look identical to S. reginea seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strelitzea juncea seed website

o

Gardino's nursery in Florida has 3 gal. pots of Juncea. Website is rareflora.com

Steve

o

I purchased my Mussaendas at HD both last summer and this summer. They are both doing very well.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 18:00

For the Strelitzia juncea, have your local retail nursery order you one from San Marcos Growers in Santa Barbara, available as 15 gallon plants, or perhaps from Rancho Soledad Nursery in San Diego County. I suspect that you should be able to find this at better retail nurseries in Southern California as well, as it is not that rare anymore, even if it is much slower growing than S. reginae.

I don't know about the other plant, is it really even hardy outdoors outside zone 11 conditions?

As to the seedling form of S. juncea, can you tell me how long it takes to revert to the reed-like foliage? I have seedling grown plants from Silverhill that are purported to be S. juncea, but after almost 3 years of growth, they show no signs of reverting, and I think they were mislabeled seed...

o

mussaenda will not grow here,it dies at 50!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here