Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsforever

2nd year parijat plants (nycanthes arbor tristis)

plantsforever
10 years ago

I guess the question is how long does it take parijat to flower or will it even flower in zone 7? I've searched the 'net and can't find much info on growing or if they need to be a specific age to flower. They were started from seed.

They are growing in individual pots and taken inside and kept in a cool room during the winter. One looked dead in late winter but I cut it back and in early spring it started to put out new shoots. In fact it did better than the other one.

If anyone has had success with them, please give me your input.

Thanks
Kay

Comments (24)

• plantsforever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input SJN, I will try fertilizing it and see what happens. How often and how much of the Miracle Grow do you use?

• Manisha Patel
    6 years ago

nice

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have also observed these like to bloom on new growth. I cut them back in the early spring after the last frost even though they are in the greenhouse. Once March rolls around here I put them outside of the green house and start watering them and they leaf out. Then I fertilize w MG or fish fertilizer about 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water..I usually mix it in a 5 gallon bucket. I give them a big cup full (dont really measure) of this solution about once a month or so when Im fertilizing all the other plants. When they shed their leaves in winter I dont water as much or fertilize at all.

I got cuttings to root with rooting hormone and several 8 inch cuttings in a pot of half perlite, half potting soil in the spring. Keep moist but not soggy and they will take.

• junaid123
    5 years ago

Hi sultry_jasmine_nights

Any chance of getting a few cuttings for this

I could share some other plants with u which u do not have or which u r looking for

Appreciate it

• Angelica K
    3 years ago

Hi all, so glad to see this feed! I have been searching all over for a parijat plant (nycanthes arbor-tristis) but am having no luck finding one in FL. Sultry_jasmine_nights, are you able to share a cutting or two? I'd be happy to pick it up or pay for shipping. I would really appreciate it, it is for my mom's arthritis etc. Thank you so much!

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Does anyone sell parijatha plant or seed? I have been highly interested in having this plant for last several years. Didnt have success with seeds. Plant from seed died last summer. I should have brought it inside home. I live in San Diego.

• plantsforever
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Get recently harvested seeds to start again. I got mine on Amazon. Used the damp paper towel in a plastic bag under grow lights for warmth. This gave best and fastest germination rate.

If you plant in pots when weather is warm it can take up to two months to sprout and germination won’t be as good.

I take mine in when temps go below 50 degrees F

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

Thanks much. Do you have amazon link for the fresh seeds? In India, the seeds are so big. Over here, seeds are tiny I noticed. Where do the seeds come from?

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

Here is my single lone seedling that I have kept wrapped in paper towel zip loc inside my home exposed to south facing sun for last 2-3 months..I am afraid to transplant it In soil as I killed my other seedlings soon after transplanting in soil. Any tips appreciated. As you can see, roots are long.

• plantsforever
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• plantsforever
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The seller was no longer on EBay (not Amazon) where I got the seeds but here is what I found above.

I have planted seedlings like those and had them take root. Its either plant now or it will die anyway. Good luck with it. Let us know how it does!

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

i must be doing something wrong when transplanting seedlings..do they need to be in a certain type of soil? I planted them in complete shade in soil and even kept a clear plastic cup on top for green house effect. Last year that worked and seedling grew. I kept it outside and lost the plant Last year. This year, none of my seedlings survived outside. Any tips you can provide for transplanting it to soil and get it used to outside environment?

• Angelica K
    3 years ago

Hi guys, please reach out to this farm in Florida - he has parijat plants. https://www.etsy.com/shop/HariOMChandraFarm?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=826374061 his name is Hemchand +1 (912) 441-6720.

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

Thanks so much Angelica for the reference

• plantsforever
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Are u planting directly into garden soil or potting soil? Seedlings need to be planted into potting soil after they have developed roots.

Carefully transplant when putting in pots.

Keep in semi-shady spot until you get true leaves.

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

I transplanted in peat moss few of them and also in potting soil for couple and covered with plastic water bottle..these were mostly in Shade..didn’t get true leaf this year..last year I got couple of them to grow true leaf but didn’t bring them inside home in December. Maybe potting soil (Kellogg) was no good.

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

Plantsforever and Angelica

i finally got parijath plant from Mr Hemchand.

I potted them in 1 gallon pot in good potting soil. I will keepnplants in half sun for this month and till early October.

i live in zone 10a. It will be nice here till beginning of October. Night temperatures will dip to below 50 from mid October. Should I bring the parijath plants home then? They are 1 gallon plants. How should I care for them at home? Would keeping them in south facing window suffice? I will water weekly inside home ?

Thanks

Viji

• Angelica K
    3 years ago

Hi Viji, so glad you got the plant! I would recommend contacting Mr. Hemchand with your questions as he is the professional, and I would not want to give you inaccurate information. Good luck!

• Viji Venkatachalam
    3 years ago

Sounds good Angelica

• Tiya Bal
    3 years ago

Does anyone know someone around london in uk doing this plants pls?

• Tania Hossain
    2 years ago

I live in Tx, what temperature I should bring parijat inside?

• HU-950041131
    2 years ago

Please check https://www.shreeyasnaturals.com/nuersery-plants for parijaat plant and other indian plants

• Angelica K
    last year

Does anyone in Orlando have neem leaves? My mom would like some please. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm