Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd year parijat plants (nycanthes arbor tristis)

Posted by plantsforever Lou. KY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 17:09

I guess the question is how long does it take parijat to flower or will it even flower in zone 7? I've searched the 'net and can't find much info on growing or if they need to be a specific age to flower. They were started from seed.

They are growing in individual pots and taken inside and kept in a cool room during the winter. One looked dead in late winter but I cut it back and in early spring it started to put out new shoots. In fact it did better than the other one.

If anyone has had success with them, please give me your input.

Thanks
Kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd year parijat plants (nycanthes arbor tristis)

Hi, I grow nycanthes arbor-tristis. I keep it in a large pot in full sun. It usually starts flowering well later in the summer and will keep going until it gets too cold- sometimes it flowers all winter in the greenhouse and makes seedpods. It sheds its leaves around March as new ones start growing in (I keep it in a greenhouse in the winter here because we get some freezes). I got mine as a small rooted plant several years ago and it is now 7+ feet tall. I am not sure how long it takes to flower from seed. It seems to like to dry out a little before I water it again. I really need to repot mine, it is really getting cramped. I fertilize it with plain old MG.
Indian Night Jasmine Flowers photo IndianNightJasmine.jpg

Here is what the seed pods look like (see the green mitt looking thing in the top right part of the photo)
Nyctanthes Arbortristis Seed Pod photo 100_7713.jpg

o
RE: 2nd year parijat plants (nycanthes arbor tristis)

Thanks for the input SJN, I will try fertilizing it and see what happens. How often and how much of the Miracle Grow do you use?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here