Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get my chalice vine to flower

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 17:24

I have it in a 3 gallon container and I water it regularly and feed with 10-52-10 and it's in full sun. Weather here is in the 90s.

What am I doing wrong? I've had it for three years now and it was a big plant when I got it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get my chalice vine to flower

I grow this plant. In my yard. I have to cut it back monthly...and I mean CUT IT BACK! It needs room to grow,and when you cut the stems, you are cutting off the blooms. They bloom on the end of the stems. So if you have to leave it in the pot. I would stop cutting the stems a few months before it blooms. Mine blooms from around Nov-Jan. Check online what the 'offical' bloom time is..and stop cutting it a few months before that season,and you will get many blooms,on the end of the stems. If you cut the stems off to close to the bloom season,you are cutting off the blooms. Give it as much sun as possible. You dont need to feed it so much. I have NEVER fed mine in nearly 10 years of growing it in soil that is VERY poor. I hope this helps. It is so easy to get to bloom. I think it is just that you are cutting it back to close to the bloom season,and thus cutting the blooms right off! They are a sight to behold and smell wonderful. Lots of sun,cut back on that food,and dont cut it back so much before its bloom season,and you will get blooms!

o

But I've never cut it back.

o

Minna mouse. I have the same problem with my variegated solandra maxima. I have had it for about ten years-no blooms. I am growing it in a pot and also never cut it. A guy at a plant sale told me to keep it dry in the winter-still no blooms. I also get no blooms on my lily of the valley vine .It is in an 18 inch pot and is huge and looks healthy.

o

I'm getting pretty unhappy with this plant. Maybe it needs a huge pot but usually, root crowding leads to flowering.

o

I'm thinking lack of heat. These plants come from where it's pretty hot, I mean, HOT... like 120 in the summer. I saw one in bloom in LA. but it was consistently in the upper 90's at the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here