Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasgirl

Desperately Seeking Pomegranate

northtexasgirl
18 years ago

Hey there everyone. I am trying to find a full size pomegranate tree/bush to grow. I'm not having any luck surfing the net. I have the dwarf Nana but I want the "regular" size poms. I always look forward to pom season every year and now I would love to grow my own. Does anyone know some sources for this? Thanks again for your help. :)

Leona

Comments (46)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Hmmmm.... how long have you had the dwarf nana, and is it in the ground? Sometimes, when 'dwarf' fruit trees are in the ground, they get very large... dwarfing them seems to just bring them down to reachable size.... Have you tried ordering one from your local nursery? Mine orders trees for me.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Leona, before ordering, check out www.gardenwatchdog.com
    Someone I know ordered citrus from a place and I'd never seen so many negative responses at any nursery. Think the name is Growquest..Toni

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heathen1, I never thought about planting the dwarf Pom in the ground. Has anyone else done this and if so, how big did yours get? I'm shocked at the difficulty in trying to locate a full size Pom at the nurseries here. I guess it just isn't popular enough? I can't even find any nurseries that sell them over the net.

Toni, if I ever do find a nursery one that sells this, I will definitely check out gardenwatchdog. Thanks :)

Leona

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Leona, I got my Pom mail order from Just Fruits and Exotics Nursery in N. Florida. It flowered and fruited at 12" tall.

Pine Island Nursery in Miami also has them.

Terrific plants!

Lisa

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lisa, thanks so much. I am going to order two (hopefully) from Just Fruits and Exotics Nursery. I'm trying to find out how big their plants are now. How long did it take for yours to reach 12'?

Leona

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Most dwarf pomegranate doesn't bear edible fruits. They are usually small, very acidic, and grown for ornamental purposes. Are there lots of good tasting dwarf varieties that I'm not familiar with?
    NorthTexasGirl, a cheaper way to go is to get cuttings. Pomegrante will root easily. I would recommend a variety that has very soft seeds that you could just eat. There is an almost white flesh variety that has this quality. Does anyone know the name of this cultivar?

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Eggo. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience to wait for cuttings to grow enough to bear fruit. :)

Lisa, Just Fruits and Exotics emailed me to let me know that they won't be shipping anything til October. Bummer!! That's a looonnnggg time off. :) Think I'll keep looking.

Leona

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Leona, poms do well in the ground... but they like it on the dryish side. I had one in a pot, stuck it in the ground this May and it has grown by leaps and bounds. I got my "Wonderful" online, but I forgot from where....

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heathen1, yep I know poms like dry soil. My Granny had some on his land years and years ago and it was VERY dry there in that part of Texas. I sure wish you could remember where you ordered yours from. :)

Leona

• ginibee
    18 years ago

Here is one possible source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayside Garden

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Leona, don't forget to check www.gardenwatchdog.com Toni

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

I thought I got it from Logees, but they only have 'Nana'... but this was a few years ago.

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi GiniBee. I tried Wayside Gardens but they say they don't carry them, even though they have them advertised on sale for $14.95. Wonder what's up with that?

Darn it, if I didn't want one so badly, I'd probably be finding it everywhere. :) So, the pom quest continues.

Leona

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Leona, did you try Pine Island? They have the Hipolito variety listed.

Lisa

• gardenalive
    18 years ago

You don't need to buy any pomegranate plant IMHO. They grow so fast from seeds. As an added benefits, the seeds are quick to germinate like papaya seeds.

Mine are only a year and half old and two of them are already five feet tall. The rest are catching up to them quick.

We hardly give them any fertilizer or water and they are still growing like mad. Even in our mild winter, they kept on growing, abeit alot slower than during the warmer seasons. The unexpected snow event we had last year barely scrape them; all their leaves stay intact. Talk about hardy!! By the way, they are hardy to about 15F, although I have a feeling they are root hardy at 10F.

• dreamweaver_
    18 years ago

GardenAlive...
    Where did you get your seed?
    Wondering if I could maybe find the fruit for sale somewhere & save the seeds to plant, would that work?

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GardenAlive, I had no idea they grew that fast!! But, the question is, how long before they fruit?

Lisa, I'm waiting for an email back from Pine Island. They have a 2 tree minimum which is okay by me since I've been wanting to order a Lychee tree anyway. I just hope they can ship now rather than October, which is what most of the nurseries are saying.

Leona

• gardenalive
    18 years ago

Dreamweaver,

I got my seeds from California pomegrantes that I bought at the local grocery supermarkets. They are probably the Wonderful variety which is grown alot commercially over there.

As for germinating, I would use fresh seeds. When I finish sucking out the delicious juice from one, I just throw the seeds onto the ground, lightly cover, give them a little watering and they'll come up in about 2-4 weeks, a little more or less. They are easy to germinate.

northtexasgirl,

Pomegranates can fruit in as little as 2 years from seeds. But would you believe I already have two flowers? One fell off in May and one just formed. Go figure!!

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I WON'T be ordering from Pine Island Nursery. They are gonna charge $47.50 just for the shipping!! Utterly ridiculous. I'll keep looking. :)

Leona

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Geesh, that's terrible, Leona..where are they located? Is there shipping cost because of the number of plants or are all orders 47.50? Toni

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Toni. They're in Miami, FL. I'm still in a state of shock. That didn't include the $12.00 for the box they ship in and the two plant minimum. Needless to say, I'm still lookin. :)

Leona

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

12.00 for a box? They're a rip off..Of all the nurseries I've ordered from, and there's quite a few, I've never, ever payed for the box..geesh..I don't blame u for searching..Toni

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They state that the "box" contains the special frame that the plants are shipped in. Still way too much though. I may have a nursery owner bringing me one from Mexico. He left yesterday and will return on the 14th. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that prospect. :)

Leona

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

I bet PI is shipping FedEx or UPS overnight to ensure the health of the trees in this heat. That price for 2, three gallon trees, priority shipped, is not outrageous. The boxes are heavy and at least 40" tall. They are braced by simple wooden slats inside that keep the plants from shifting around.

I always got my trees from them that were shipped on Monday, on the next day (Tuesday) in perfect shape, except for one time the FedEx driver dumped the boxes out of his truck door, upside down on the pavement. I saw him and called Pine Island to report the rough treatment and they sent me new trees, no charge.

I've ordered over 20 trees from PI and have always been pleased. They have healthy, well grown plants and they stand behind them.

My Pom from another nursery (JF) was nearly $30 plus shipping and was only about 8" tall when I got it. It has been a terrific little tree, producing at 12" tall(G). But I found them locally last week for $10 for one that size. I got 2 more, want one? The variety is unknown/unnamed, the nursery owner picked them up while in vietnam years ago. They are definately full sized trees when mature, I saw adults at the nursery.

If you really want to know what you are getting, want healthy plants and good service, then PI is an excellent choice.

If it will help, call Fedex or UPS and get prices on shipping 40lb boxes, 24 by 40" overnight or two day. I think you will be shocked at the costs.

Lisa

• tampede
    18 years ago

Try Schultz Nursery just 7 miles east of San Antonio,Tx. They have everything and guarantee the tree for 1 year.

• eloise_ca
    18 years ago

Northtexasgirl: You should post under Plants instead of Discussion. I did several months ago and traded for two pomegranates trees. Of course they are only about a foot tall, but they are on their way.

GardenAlive: Thanks for the info on how easy pomegranates grow from seed.

Dreamweaver: If you have 99 cent stores, last week I found pomegranates (fruit) there (here in So. Calif.) -- two for 99 cents. They are the large reddish/purple fruit and the one I ate already was delicious!

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Hey how do most of you eat the pomegranate? Do you spit out the seeds or eat everything including the seeds?

I use to eat the seeds but lately I've been spitting the seeds out. My stomach just ain't that strong digestive machine it used to be anymore.

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Eloise. I have traded for some pomegranate plants. And Lisa was kind enough to send me a nice one for postage. I sure wish I could find the fruit here for .99. I'm paying $2.99 ea. but they are large. Heck, I'd pay more than that if I had to. I love pomegranates. They're very healthy too. I always look forward to them ripening.

Eggo, I used to eat seed and all but, like you, my digestive system just isn't what it used to be so now I spit the seeds out. I also like to put a bunch of the seeds in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Yummy!! And I like them best cold as it seems to bring the flavor out even more. Tasha, my dog-child loves them too. :)

Leona

• eloise_ca
    18 years ago

Leona, I too have paid more for pomegranates in the store. I happened to be at the 99 cent store looking for a cheap plant pot and saw the pomegranates there so of course had to try them.

Eggo, I have always eaten the seeds, but will now spit out some to plant :-) I usually will cut it in half and sit down in front of the tv and eat seed by seed. Of course my fingers get stained, but then that goes away.

• ohiojay
    18 years ago

I tried my first pomegranate the other night. At first I wondered what the heck? Why would anyone go to all the trouble of getting these little kernels out only to find a seed in each tiny sac? They were a beautiful ruby red and I have to admit tasted pretty darn good. The seeds were a pain though. I researched a little and found there is a variety that is near seedless...which would be nice. I'm assuming this was from California and was $1.99 per fruit. Research also showed that planting from seed will not be true-to-type. Has anyone had any experience with this yet? I refrained from planting any at this time since I'm packed to the gills with plants now. But I think a variety of this plant may find it's way into my collection sometime in the future!

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jay. There are LOTS of different varieties of poms. The only one I have seen around here is the "Wonderful" variety and that's what the supermarkets around here carry. I've also heard of the practically seedless one. Now, I'm wanting to taste one of every variety. :) They seem to be gaining popularity. I still think it is the best fruit I have ever tasted. I haven't been so lucky as to taste all the tropical fruits though. Someday, hopefully, I'll have that chance.

Leona

• Eggo
    18 years ago

I just had a white pomegranate. The skin is white, the flesh was pink and seeds were so soft, it was practically seedless. I will be starting some cuttings soon But does anyone know what this variety is called?? It may not be too common but I have ran into it a few times.

• earthling
    18 years ago

Still looking for pomegranates in DFW area? Covington's in Rowlett had a very nice selection this spring.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Wow this thread has brought back alot of childhood memories for me. In Phoenix we used to run up and down the alley picking pomegranites that grew wild behind my now MIL's house. We would just spit out the seeds all over the ground-no wonder they grew wild back there lol! There are still large pomegranite bushes back there . I am gonna take some cuttings when I go back there this summer!! I am always looking for things I can grow from the grocery store for fun, so thanks for the info. on growing them from seed.
    ~SJN

• jimdog
    17 years ago

I'm confused, I have't seen A POMEGRANATE in years. The old timers around here use to carry one in their pocket and called it a "pomergranate" and had a very sweet smell to it,but they grew on a vine. They were about the size of a lime and was kinda redish & orange spripes and did not grow on a tree or bush.

thanks, Jim

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Jim, that doesn't sound like a pomegranate. There are lime size ones, but those are ornamental varieties, too acidic to be edible and they aren't really fragrant.

pomegranate pics

• jimdog
    17 years ago

thanks, eggo, come to think about it I'm an old timer now(63). Maybe they were calling it "Plumgranny".

thanks, Jim

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Funny, cause I posted this same question on another forum, thougth I'm looking for the nana.
    I had a beauty of one, 3 yrs old growing as bonsai. Every summer it flowered and fruited, but like an above poster said, the fruits are more for decoration than munching on fruit. Toni

• glos_2006
    17 years ago

This is our 4th year with our Pom Tree & boy am I beginning to understand how these tree's have been around since Old Testament Times!We have a " relaxing sitting spot" a couple of "motel chairs" & a matching round table (how retro?,LOL) shaded by the branches of this pom tree, this year we even have about a dozen poms of varying sizes hanging from those branches,most of them with that red blush that signals it won't be long till we can finally can taste the fruits of our labors,LOL.Yes!Only 4 years & it is large enough to have it's own special area! I insist that it be more of a tree than a bush,( I remember from my childhood they were always bushes) so when I give it a haircut I am RUTHLESS!This tree is hardy & stands up to me when about twice a year I decided it is time for that haircut.Hubby & friends almost have a heart attack saying things like "you are gonna kill that poor tree cutting that tree in this heat!" (Hot Texas July Sun)But this tree never even flinches, so far,it has rewarded me with even more growth! When we 1st got it, it was about 5ft tall & about 4 sticks in that pot of dirt, now it is close to 15 foot & many branches with lush emerald green leaves. Now I want more! Y'all talk of taking cuttings, I am abit unsure of where to take these cuttings, could some please explain exactly where I should take them? And when I should take them? Thanks!

• hashi
    17 years ago

I used to have 18 pom trees ("Wonderful") that fruited heavily with extra large delicious fruit. Will these grow true to type from cuttings? From seeds? I recently read about a dwarf pom that has edible fruit, but I can't locate it again. It was being sold by a nursery in Calif., and had been developed by Univ of Calif at Davis. Has anyone heard of this and where it is being sold?

• earthling
    17 years ago

I know it would be a drive for you, but I bought one at Covington's Nursery in Rowlett, Tx. last spring..

You could call them or go to website and be put on their mailing list. Thats how I found out they had them.

Covington's
    5518 Liberty Grove Rd
    Rowlett, TX 75089
    (972) 475-5888

• californian
    17 years ago

In California just about any nursury will sell pomegranates, including the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. My neighbor has a pomegranate thats about 25 or 30 feet tall. A small one gallon size will sell for about four or five dollars.

• rws92
    16 years ago

Another San Antonio site is Fanick's. They have a website with a catalog link. You can't order off the website but maybe you could call them and order.

• alphajlv
    14 years ago

Grow Healthy Fruit will have their web site up and running soon ! End of 2009 and they will have pomegranates,figs, grapes, muscadines, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries ready to ship. These aren't bare root plants either ! If anyone wants me to send them an email when they are open for business just email me.

• joanne8777_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi!

I am a lover of pomegranates too. There are a number of online sites that sell poms. I'm including Bay Laurel Nursery, which has a great selection.

Raintree Nursery has a large selection.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Pomegranate

Trees of Antiquity has a good selection.

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24

If you do a web search, you can type in, "pomegranate trees for sale" and get a lot of results.

My favorite poms are: Sweet, Eversweet, Angel Red, Pink Satin, Utah Sweet and White. You can purchase these bushes/trees online at the nurseries I've listed above. I live in California, where Wonderful poms are common.

Good luck! I hope you find a pom!
    joanne8777

Here is a link that might be useful: Bay Laurel Nursery

• rdj1234
    13 years ago

Hi!

I know you want a tree or bush, but I did find a site that I've used before that has dwarf pomegranate seeds. Here's the link:
    http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-714/Punica-granatum--dsh--Dwarf/Detail

rdj1234