Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

jade fern

garyfla_gw
11 years ago

hi

anybody growing this ?? Microsorum thailandicum Have grown it for several years first in the shadehouse then an outdoor terrarium. For about thge last 6 months it has slowed to pathetic and lost the beautiful turquoise color

I tried repotting in canadian peat along with perlite which was the original mix.. Any hints??? Thanks gary

Comments (4)

• ifraser25
    11 years ago

Gary, I'm far from an expert on ferns and I've never heard of this one, but a lot of the ones we have in our garden are deciduous or semi-deciduous, the leaf-fall generally coinciding with either the dry season or the period after they produce the spores. There's a technical name for this but sei la.. What I do with them when they start to look ratty is cut the bad leaves back to the rhizome and then just wait from them to revive. They're pretty tough and hard to kill so don't be frightened to wield the knife. Good luck. - Ian.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    This fern is native to the lowland rainforest of Thailand. have had no trouble growing it grow just that it is spreading rather than growing up. Have heard it will get over 18 inches but it topped at less than twelve.
    my main conplaint is that it has turned a dark green losing its irridescent blue color. it is a "Reverse"
    synthisizer ,utilizing reflected light so it can grow in very dark forests. A person that I found on the web who is GH growing says that it's an "obligate limestone lithophyte" Growing has NOT been a problem just the habit??
    I've transplanted to a clay pot with long sphagnum and placed it near my shade marsh garden . So far it's reacted by spreading further and staying dark green lol
    Many members of this genus are aquatic or amphibious but so far have Not been brave enough to put in water lol
    Got to be the worlds most beautiful fern,when happy lol Thanks gary

• steiconi
    11 years ago

I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like a "limestone lithopyte" would like alkaline soil.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    i transferred it to a 6 inch clay pot with long fibered sphag. placed it along the edge of my marsh garden. Has started to respond with MUCH taller fronds but still lack the colors but can see I'm on the right track Going to try this with the Elaphoglossum ferns which are suffering from the same problems..
    steiconi i doubt that either are "limestone lithophytes" though they certainly may grow that way in the wild and that condition is very tough to dublicate particularly in a temperate garden!! wasa unable to find habitat pix of either but i did find they are definitely NOT high altitude so I have a chance though the first is from Thailand the latter from Peru lol
    They both occur in very low light high rainfall areas
    but not montane rainforest. Thanks gary

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus