Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seik4123

Seed pod on stephanotis

Sheila
13 years ago

What a surprise! This pod is huge! It is green and I guess I was just seeing it as a leaf. I moved the pot today to give it some protection from our baking sunlight. When I moved it, I found not only the pod, but two large praying mantis.

Can I harvest the seeds after the pod dries? Can stphanotis be grown from seed? Thx for any input.

Sheila :)

Comments (22)

• wanna_run_faster
    13 years ago

You definitely can grow them from seed! Mine is a monster and was grown from seed :)

• irish_rose_grower
    13 years ago

Wow that's cool. Would you be interested in trading seeds of the stephanotis? I would love to try growing one of these plants.

• john_dr
    13 years ago

My stephanotis had a large seed pod on it last year. When it ripened it split and spread the seeds which have down on them to aid dispersion by wind. If you want to collect the seed put a paper bag around the pod when it is begining to ripen and fix with a rubber band.

• Sheila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi John. I've read elsewhere that this pod will take a year to ripen. Was that your experience? I can't imagine waiting a whole year! I also read about the blow-away seeds and figured I'd need to enclose the seed pod. Did you germinate any of the seeds? This plant had a pod years ago, but it was before I retired and I just didn't have time to work with it. I cut it off so the plant did not put it's energies into forming seed that I wouldn't use.

I assume there will be many seeds in this large pod and if I harvest them successfully, I'll send some to Irish Rose Grower and maybe list them on the Seed Swap forum.

Sheila :)

• Sheila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx for the specific info. The pod has already turned from dark leaf green to a lighter color. It will be exciting watching this happening. I grow orchids, and they definitely teach you to have patience!!!

I love this plant; just watered this a.m. and noticed another cluster of buds opening. The pure white blooms are beautiful and the fragrance wonderful.

• john_dr
    13 years ago

Hi Granniek,

Yes it took the best part of a year to ripen and I have noticed some self sown stephanotis seedlings around my courtyard. I guess it would not be too hard to germinate stephanotis seeds. Good luck.

Regards,

John

• irish_rose_grower
    13 years ago

Boy is this interesting. I can't wait to see how it progresses. Just when I think i've grown all the exciting seeds something comes along and gets my curiousity.

I've read good thinks about growing these from seed. As long as the seed is fresh germination is supposed to be really good.

I see you grow orchids too -- i would love to try some if you have any extra to trade. I have lots of things I can offer in trade, I have some different amarylis bulbs. Also have a vigna caracalla vine. Mine didn't bloom this year, our season just ins't that long here. I did get it to bloom the year before though. I also have cuphea schumanni that I grew from seed. It is blooming now but won't survive my winter. I hear the hummingbirds love it. Unfortunately after 7 yrs of gardening i've still not seen a hummer in my yard:-(

take care
    Maureen

• irish_rose_grower
    13 years ago

Boy is this interesting. I can't wait to see how it progresses. Just when I think i've grown all the exciting seeds something comes along and gets my curiousity.

I've read good thinks about growing these from seed. As long as the seed is fresh germination is supposed to be really good.

I see you grow orchids too -- i would love to try some if you have any extra to trade. I have lots of things I can offer in trade, I have some different amarylis bulbs. Also have a vigna caracalla vine. Mine didn't bloom this year, our season just ins't that long here. I did get it to bloom the year before though. I also have cuphea schumanni that I grew from seed. It is blooming now but won't survive my winter. I hear the hummingbirds love it. Unfortunately after 7 yrs of gardening i've still not seen a hummer in my yard:-(

take care
    Maureen

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I've had good germination on fresh seed from stephanotis. I planted them after the pod was dry and started to split. It takes a couple years or more depending on your climate for the new vines to bloom from seed.

• babzie814
    8 years ago

I had a seed pod a few months ago - now I have the seedlings that are still pretty small. A few weeks ago I saw 3 more seed pods. They're getting larger and I just now saw a 4th small pod growing!!

• Sheila
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have another developing now. They are fun to watch, then germinate and grow. I gave away several plants last year that I'd grown from seed. Happy growing!

• mistymeye
    7 years ago

My mother in law gave me this plant past spring and I repotted

it and built a trellis to climb. It's growing well but not too many flowers. However, recently I saw a pod towards the back and had been wondering if it would be a seed for future plant or what! This thread us so very helpful. I'm little sad about waiting but excited nonetheless. I like in New York and it's starting to get very cold. Does anyone here keel their plant indoor?

• Brenda Burns
    7 years ago

I live in Wisconsin and take my plant in as soon as the temp drops below 50 degrees. It winters in the house and I take it outside again in the late Spring. I have my first seed pod this year.

• Sheila
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Brenda. I was surprised to find this thread still going! I have been raising several plants every year from the seeds. I'm again watching a seed pod. I do grow the plant outdoors but after temps drop to the 50s, it comes into the sunroom of the house.

irish Rose, if you still watch this board, let me know if you are interested in seed.

• clemensrodgers
    7 years ago

I bought seeds from Ebay. Three of them came up quickly on a heated pad covered with a plastic bag, under a grow light. They no longer have the heating pad or plastic bag, but they seem to be growing terribly slowly. It's been 5-6 weeks and they still only have the first two leaves on all of them. Is this normal?

• Sheila
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My GH stays warm and good humidity. Plants grow nicely. If you're comparing growth to vegetable plants or even some flowers, perhaps the steph seedlings do grow relatively slowly. Once they do get several pairs of leaves they seem to grow more quickly. I'd give them VERY WEAK plant fertilizer every time you water.

• clemensrodgers
    7 years ago

Thank you so much. Will do.

• M L
    4 years ago

thanks for all the great info. my 3 year old stephanotis has 8 to 9 pods over a year ago. our first experience, first plant. we picked all but 3 and put into a brown bag since 2 of them have already split open. Help, what do I do now?? your advise and expertise would be much appreciated!! so excited!!

• Sheila
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As the seeds separate from their cone like state, you can pot them the way you'd do any seed. Use a fine seedling soil and cover the seed, not burying it too deeply. Keep moist, not soaking wet, and warm; wait for them to germinate. I didn't have any problem with 'damping off' and when the tiny seedlings had two sets of leaves I put them in bright light. As they became a bit larger and strong, I transplanted into peat pots usually three to a pot. Settle them in with a watering of root stimulator and watch them grow! Have fun, happy growing!

Sheila

• M L
    4 years ago

Sheila, thank you so much!!

• wambo01
    3 years ago

I have had a vine for 15 years and each year the flowers get more abundant and have eight seed pods this year. I live in NewZealand and get the weather extremes the US gets.

i leave my pot on the patio all year in all weathers an plant just keeps on growing.

i have planted the seed and they are growing, it is a long wait for a decent size plant