Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I repot Song of India?

Posted by debrichard z5 Mich (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 18:14

Hi, i purchased a Song of India this summer and it's doing well on my deck here in zone 5. I want to bring it indoors soon for the winter but I was wondering if I could re-pot it first. I would do it soon since it will be in shock from moving indoors anyway. We're still having really nice weather here now. So many tropical plants I've read about do not like to be repotted, and would rather be root-bound but I can't stand it's black ugly plastic pot!
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I repot Song of India?

The only one concern that I have against repotting at this time is that if you do not have an ideal indoor growing environment for it. You could just set the plant inside of another container until spring. ;-]

In general, Dracaena is a good candidate to encourage good root growth during the winter months. Foliage beauty, health and vigorous growth will follow come the following spring.

A Warm Hello from Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

I have areas with lots of light, if it doesn't like dry air I will not put it in living room since I have a fireplace there. I have a wide range of conditions, i forgot what it likes, could you help me with that? I've looked it up but have forgotten.
Thanks

o

Sounds to me like you already have a good understanding of growing success.

My trick for maintaining happy indoor Dracaena with "established root system" is brightest location. I try to create an indoor environment that is as similar to natural or as possible. Protect the plant from cold air drafts and keep it away from doorways. I have also found the plant will show great benefit from being grouped together with several other plants. I also like to set several bowls of water near to counter act the dry air. Pay closer attention concerning watering and do let it dry out more between watering. Never let it completely dry out thou. If using a saucer never leaving any standing water in it.

Happy Growing!

A Warm Hello from Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here