Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Anthurium

Posted by peaches20 6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 18:49

Hi all,

I've had an anthurium for a couple of years now. It has started to get a sticky substance on the leaves. I did squirt the leaves with water and it seemed to clear up but has come back. I then sprayed with neem oil but I'm still seeing the sticky substance.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? My Anthurium is growing in a rock and I have it sitting in a dish of spring water.

What type of fertlizer can be used?

thanks,

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Anthurium

Hi
The only type I grow are the vining types, andreanum hybrids. Grow them in my shadehouse only problem I've had is slugs which chomp off a leaf every now and then.
I feed mine with the regular orchid ferts. They LOVE heat and humidity for sure lol gary

o

Sticky substances are usually the excretions of scale. So I would check your plants for scale and treat it.

o

As for fertilizer, slow release (Osmocote or similar) or soluable (Ferti-lome being my favorite) have worked well.

Gary, have you tried salt for the slugs? Kosher salt has been my weapon of choice, especially for the big 'uns.

o

Hi
I keep most of my tropical plants in the shadehouse where there are so many kinds and growth habits insect control is almost out of the question lol. The slugs chomp down a leaf or two but the plant way outgrows the damage lol. I like to refer to this as my "rainforest in a box " lol Wife calls it an "overgrown tangled mess" lol
If something has too many problems .I just plant something else. With anthurium the damage is always limited . gary

o

Thanks for all the help. I've decided to continue to spray with neems oil and give it some osmocote. Eventually I think I may plant it in a pot so that I can put it outside in the summer.

Thanks again,

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here