Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skygardening

Pitcher Plant Question

skygardening
15 years ago

Last year I got a Pitcher Plant. It did well and has grown nicely. There are new pitchers on the new growth, but none of the leaves that had them last year. Will there ever be pitchers on those leaves again?

Sky~~

Comments (4)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have some limited experience with two species. The first is a small one give to me as a cutting grows anywhere lol
    in fact becomes somewhat weedy lol The other is a Nepenthes
    maxima. has pitchers in excess of a foot long The traps will only develop on the new leaves once spent they shrivel.
    During a transplant the maxima stopped producing pitchers though it's growing like a weed and even flowered.
    Have yet to find a remedy for this lol gary

• skygardening
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I did find the tag from mine and it says Nepenthes 'Alata'. Mine is on a stand about three feet high. Before long I will have to trim it back or something because it will touch the ground. Have you ever taken cuttings? If so how would I root them? Water or just right in soil with root hormone? Mine takes a lot of water. Do you put water in the pitchers? I have heard this is not needed?

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Did you miss the word "limited experience" in my post ?? lol The small one is kept in the shadehouse along with my epiphytes and it will grow into the hanging pots and root entirely on its own. In fact broken pieces that fall to the ground sometimes root .
    I think a good way to root cuttings would be long fibered sphagnum moss They all seem to be vines which grow in a straight line . The big one is sprouting from the main stem. Supposedly ,they can't tolerate tap water but the small one doesn't seem to mind .
    The fluid in the pitchers is actually a digestive fluid not water . So obviously you wouldn't want to add water.
    From what I've gathered they are sensitive to minerals in tap water so you should use either rain or distilled water and NEVER any fertilizer . The small one doesn't seem to care at all. I feed my orchids regularly and use tap mwater and still have to remove at least 10 feet twice a year lol They certainly do need regular pruning
    You might try rooting the cuttings in the same pot ,hopefully to get a full plant??? gary

• skygardening
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Gary,
    You have more experience than who you are posting to. LOL I will try soon to root some and see how it goes. There is no room in the existing plant though. It will need a trim soon.

Sky~~

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus