Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Variegated Heliconias

siegel2
13 years ago

Here are some variegated Ginger & Heliconia plants in my greenhouse.

Alpinia vittata

Heliconia rauliniana

Costus erythrophyllus. Really like the red color on the back of the leaves.

Heliconia zebrina

Heliconia Lemaii variegata

Heliconia 'El Tigre'

Comments (8)

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Very nice! Is that Zebrina at all robust? Do you have any luck getting them to bloom? What sort of micro-climate?

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.

The H. zebrina is not that robust. It struggles in a pot, but now that its in the ground, its doing much better. In a pot it would put out a new leaf, but it would quickly develop brown edges. The plants are growing inside a heated greenhouse. The greenhouse has no floor. The plants grow right in the ground.

This is how it looked when I first put it in the ground in May.

• leentje3
    13 years ago

Wow!, you should try giving it 0-10-10. You don't want to give it a high dose of nitrogen, but a very low dose of nitrogen is okay because the leaves are already green. You don't want to lose variegation. I'm interested to have some of all your Heliconias. I have nice plants to offer. I live in Bonsall-North County San Diego. Pretty close to Vista,California. Let me know if you're interested. We can negotate what you have to offer.
    Chambeyronia macrocarpa-watermelon crownshaft(1 gal.)8 avaialbe
    Kentia palm (1 gal)8 available
    Variegated Canna stuggart (rhizomes)about 12 avaialbe
    Alocasia adora-giant elephant ears(1 and 3 gal)10 avialabe
    Phylastachys nigra-black bamboo-runner (5 gallons)7 avaialbe
    Variegated Jade (very small container)27 available
    Inga edulas-Ice Cream Bean seedlings 10 avaiable
    Zamia picta-varigated zamia (5.5" deep linear)10 available
    I have alot more to choose and too many to list.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

leentje3,

All the Heliconia plants you see in my post are growing in a heated greenhouse. I am fairly certain that even in San Diego, they will die during your cool winter. Believe me, I've tried and they are usually dead (not dormant) by February.

Here's where they live.

{{gwi:291179}}

Growing them in a pot might work if you have a warm place for them during winter.

• alohalani
    13 years ago

I am new to heliconias. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in trading for plumerias. I have 'Wildfire' and 'Hilo Beauty' for trade. I can email pics, just let me know.
    Otherwise, a good place to purchase? What is a good starter variety?

• leentje3
    13 years ago

Hi Cagary,
    I agree with you. Of course, I'm going to bring it inside my garage during the winter season. I'm still interested in your Heliconias and ginger. Have you thought about trading,yet? Or I can we wait til the winter is over.
    -Leentje3

• costaricafinca
    13 years ago

Even here in Costa Rica, 'Heliconia zebrina' is grown mainly for the leaves since the blooms do not last long.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

leentje3,

E-mail me through this site.