Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phorsaken

Solo Papaya Wilting

phorsaken
16 years ago

Hey everyone, looking for some help. I picked up a Solo Papaya plant from my local garden center about a month ago. For the longest time, it looked super healthy, and was growing like crazy. For about two weeks now, though, it's been looking kinda bad, (see pics). The leaves are wilting like crazy, and it's dropping them at an alarming rate, (yellowing too). I do my best to keep the soil nice and moist, and they are mulched heavily. It has been SUPER hot lately... They are in full sun on the porch, there.

Thanks everyone!

{{gwi:1314979}}

{{gwi:1314980}}

Comments (8)

• User
    16 years ago

You obviously are growing it in a pot on a hot, sunny terrace in Southern California. Under these conditions you should be watering every day--especially if the pot is small. From the pic, you can't see the pot--nor do you even mention it. If the plant is drying out so fast you can't keep pace, transplant it into a bigger pot. It's even possible that the soil is so dry that it is running through the pot without saturating the soil (make sure that you water well when you do water). I can't believe that you can possibly be overwatering an actively growing papaya under the conditions you describe. Also, keep in mind that it is normal for papayas to loose their lower leaves as they grow taller. Looking at you picture, it really looks kind of normal for a papaya. Does "Solo" refer to the variety of papaya? I have a four foot containerized "Dwarf" papaya that has taken off the year. It gets sun from noon to sunset and reflected light off a white garage the rest of the day.--I hose it down nearly every day and feed regularly (depending on the fertilizer).

• phorsaken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, mentioning the pot size would help, wouldn't it? :)

I'm not sure of the gallon size, but I believe it's a ten-gallon. It's very large compared to the size of the Papaya plants. I'll try watering it more regularly, but I thought I was... Thanks!

• User
    16 years ago

If it's a very large pot compared to the plant then chances are you ARE watering enough. How often DO you water anyway? You don't want to drown it either!

• gaza
    16 years ago

i think you over watered it,they hate wet roots,check to see if any are rotten
    gary

• phorsaken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I've been watering it whenever the first few inches of soil are bone dry, then I give it a good drench until water comes out of the bottom of the pot. Would that really be too much?

• User
    16 years ago

Your papaya is NOT being overwatered if you are watering when the first few inches are bone dry. It's a wonder it's not dead. I would rewater when the top 1/2 inch begins to feel somewhat dry (doesn't have to be bone dry). I hose mine down every day--but the pot isn't as big for the plant as yours. I think it must be happy because the other day I noticed floral buds beginning to form. This is the first time it has bloomed.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Put a saucer under it. California potted plant growing isn't like back east. We need saucers in summer for many plants. Throw some mulch on top also-both should buy you some time in that 10 gallon. Moving up to a twenty wouldn't hurt.

• Tarvus
    16 years ago

From the pics you posted, your plant seems quite healthy!