Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing Gloriosa Lily tubers

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 1:03

How do I store Gloriosa Lily tubers? When should I dig them up? Do I let a frost kill back the above ground growth or should I dig them up before then? If they should be lifted before a frost should I leave them in the garage and let the foliage dry out or do I just cut it off? Should I store them in peat or put them in a pot of soil and keep that in a cool dark place?
TIA,
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing Gloriosa Lily tubers

I pulled out some of mine (just cause I had to move them and didn't have a new place for them at the time). I cut off all the growth, let them "dry" for a couple of days, and then wrapped them up in a couple of sheets of newspaper. I stored them in a box in a cool, dry place and when I finally got around to planting them about 6 or 7 months later they were fine and popped right up.

o

Thanks for the info.
Karyn

o

If they are grown in pots you can store them in the pot and do not water until spring- sorta like you do gingers. I throw mine in the garage in pots and forget about them till spring.

o

They are in the garden. I didn't even know what they were until one bloomed and honestly don't remember planting them last spring but I must have. I have stuff popping up all over that I'd forgotten about. That's what happens when your kid pulls out all the plant tags he can find. lol
Karyn

o

Hi Karyn,

I store mine in their pot for the winter. I plan to carefully remove them from their pot this spring, presoak them, and replant them in a larger pot. My original tuber had been stored in dry sphagnum moss before I received it.

They are said to do better if planted in pots and presoaking them in spring to wake them up is said to improve success with them.

Philip

o

"Presoak" should be "presprout" before replanting them. Like desert roses, there is a danger of losing them to rot if they are given a lot of water before they break dormancy.

Philip

o

The not remembering planting them might also be a function of their fondness for migrating if they're in the ground, they love to pop up somewhere new.

Suzanne

o

That's weird Suzanne, maybe that's what happened. The plants have certainly grown far from where they came up and are completely entwined in a PG hydrangea tree. It makes it look like the flowers are from the tree and not the lily tuber. Kind of pretty actually. Thanks all for the storage tips.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here