Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Bird of Pardise blooming, but.....

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 8:23

I have received a gift plant of a Strelitzia regina and it's forming two flower spikes. But I noticed that the youngest leaves are stunted and are covered back and front with rust to dark brown spots, so dense that they are nearly covering the leaves, except for the edges. It hasn't affected the older leaves. It doesn't appear to be any type of insect damage, and I haven't seen any type of insects on any part of the plant. Is this common on these plants? I have never grown one of these before.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Bird of Pardise blooming, but.....

Don't be mistaken!
I'm no authority on bop...
But they are close relative of banana, canna, and ginger...

I have 2 bop, one white tree bop and a dwarf...neither have been affected, nor the bananas either, but my cannas are eat up with rust!

It starts as a few specks of orange...it looks dusty but if you rub it it you feel bumps on the leaves, within a week the lower leaves are fully inundated with it, they brown and wither away after another month or so...the new leaves are fine...

I'm not sure exactly what it is!
But it's a fungal infection!
Spray only helps to hold it back, it's in the environment...
I notice your in z6 like me, so it seems to me there's a pretty good chance that we are under attack from the same thing...

Can you get a pic?
It would be helpful...

o

I will take some photos soon and post. The flower spikes are growing fine..........and still only on the smallest leaves.

Photobucket

o

If you're treating it like a tropical that could be where the problem originating. They're not a tropical plant, they're from a mediterranean climate, South Africa. That means a cool wet winter and hot dry summer. The white BOP comes from a warmer slightly more humid part of SA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here