Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a pink trumpet tree (Tabebuia)?

Posted by rite2u 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 10:16

I have gotten a few of the seed pods from my pink trumpet tree and am wondering about storing/keeping seeds. The tree is still producing lots of pods, which ripen, then open. When the winds blow you can see the off-white butterfly-looking seeds blowing in the air.
Has anyone tried to keep the seeds to grow pink trumpet tree seedlings? What has your experience been? Germination time/conditions?
Would appreciate your wisdom.
Rite

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a pink trumpet tree (Tabebuia)?

Tabebuia seed has a very short viability - the germination percentage will begin dropping within weeks. I've never tried fridging it, but suspect it may not help as it is a warm climate tree. You are best to try germinating now while it is fresh, and keep your seedlings going through winter.
Barely cover and keep moist.

o

I live in Hawaii and I have trumpet tree seeds and wanted to know how to germinate them.
Can you help?

Mia

o

Mia
I didn't do anything special to the tabebuia seeds I was given. I put them in a seed flat with Miracle-Gro potting soil and kept them moist. I don't know if that's the "proper" way but that's how I grow all my seeds.

My trees are 5' now and I recently sold one because the pink flowers were such attention-getters!

Susie

o

U can contact the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia, California
they should know those questions
they have stunning large specimens you can see by google images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here