Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dubai_gardener

Can you help me ID this vine/climber?

dubai-gardener
9 years ago

Hello,

I got this plant last year from a very lovely American lady who was leaving the country. It was in a pot and was recovering from a bad care by a gardener. It was in a pot for a while and did extremely well and recovered very quickly. We later replanted it into the ground and it didn't even "notice". Extremely hardy. Did amazing in the summer. Now I have no idea what it's called. It's a vine. It hasn't flowered. Hope someone can identify it. Thank you.

Comments (16)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Looks like it might be a Thunbergia, but it would be good to see the flowers to make sure. I'd say a sprawling vine rather than a climbing vine from the look of it.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I was thinking it was an orange trumpet vine. If it is, it is very invasive.

• dubai-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd love to see the flowers but it hasn't flowered at all.

• dubai-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zackey, thanks for your input. I checked the picks of orange trumpet online and I think it's not what I have. The leaves are different.

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

I believe it's Orange Trumpet Vine too. Put in full sun to see what flowers it produces.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

I believe that your vine is called a trumpet creeper vine or orange trumpet vine. I attached a pic of leaves. They can get very large with time, develop a thick trunk and grow large enough to completely cover a small outbuilding. During the summer they bloom profusely and attract hummingbirds. Your looks quite healthy!

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

They can get BIG! So take that into consideration when choosing it's permanent location. I hope this helps!
    Kathy

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

It is not a trumpet vine. dubai-gardener's plants leaves do not have serrated edges, which every photo of trumpet vine I can google search show.

It looks more like a wisteria to me. It also has smooth edge leaves like the plant in Dubai's photo with a similar stem structure.

• emma
    9 years ago

Looks like a wisteria to me also. When it blooms it will have beautiful grape like clusters of purple flowers that hang down.

• dubai-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Thanks for all your input. I apologize for not being able to answer earlier.
    I am a bit at loss. The plant did flower briefly for a few days, but I didn't have a chance to take a pic. It had bright pink/fuscia color flowers that were in a cluster and formed at the tip of the branch. One distinct feature was amazing scent of the flowers, so sweet. I thought more flowers will follow but nothing yet. I'll try to take upclose pics if the branches/leaves, and hopefully flowers.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Wisteria and Campsis both have a terminal leaflet on their pinnate leaves. This plant lacks that feature. Compare with Rangoon Creeper, Quisqualis indica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangoon Creeper.

• ifraser25
    9 years ago

The leaves strongly suggest Bignoniaceae. It could be Flame Creeper (Pyrostegia venusta) in which case it will only flower in the coldest months. In Dubai it will need plenty of water in the hot weather, much less in winter. Good luck. Ian.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I don't see much similarity between the leaves of the OP's plant and Pyrostegia venusta, Ian. The latter are barely pinnate. More trifoliate if anything. Plus P v has tendrils.

• nel5397
    8 years ago

It looks like a Rangoon Creeper to me.

• kayjones
    8 years ago

It looks like

Podranea ricasoliana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Podranea has a terminal leaflet, like Wisteria and Campsis. The OP's vine doesn't. I'm sticking with Rangoon creeper.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living