Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria HELP!

Posted by phyllisb2008 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 10:34

If anyone knows how to take cuttings HELP.The lady who swapped me this plant told me to take 6 inch pieces and then wax them off I'm not sure how to do that. I've had this plant for 3 yrs. and still no blooms so this yr. I planted in the ground and it's gotten about 4 ft. tall but no blooms.I will put back in pot before 1st. frost but would like to start another plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria HELP!

You allow the end of the cutting to harden off. Just let it to dry for about a week before potting it up. You might also want to dust the cuts with a fungicide and seal the branch that you took the cutting from with caulk so that it doesn't rot. Some bathroom caulks even contain a fungicide. You should also dip the end of the cutting in rooting powder and some of those contain a fungicide as well. Now isn't the best time to start cuttings unless you want to use a seed mat to provide bottom heat. You might want to post this question on the plumeria forum. There's several knowledgeable people there that should be able to help you. There could be a lot of reasons why you are not getting blooms. Pruning your plant isn't going to solve that problem. Good luck.

o

Thank you Karyn1.

o

Hi Karyn1,

I've posted this before but repeating it it may help. I had a plumeria cutting which I was taking to my daughter in Sydney, NSW. As it was a little while before the trip I wrapped the dried cut end with damp spagnum moss and covered with a transparent plastic bag and finally secured it to the plant with an elastic band. A few weeks later when I had gotten to Sydney I unwrapped the end of the plant I noticed the roots had sprouted from the cut end and were growing into the moss. The plant was put straight into my daughter's back yard garden bed ad has never looked back flowering last summer. Perhaps an alternative method of sprouting plumeria cuttings.

o

I live in N.J. bought my plumeria plant in Hi. 4 years ago. It now has beautiful white flowers. about 4feet tall. I put it in my back bedroom for the winter but than was reading that I should not water it for the winer to kep it in a dark room. Any suggestions?? Thank you Lee

o

Do you know what variety it is? Most plumerias drop their foliage and go thru a dormant period, regardless of temp, but there are evergreen plumerias that don't go dormant. P. pudica is one with white blooms that's an evergreen. It has distinctive spade shaped leaves. If you've had it for 4 years and it's doing well just keep on doing what you've been doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here