Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help save my Jade Vine!

Posted by ras123 10B (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 10:49

The Landscapers cut my Jade vine! It has no connection to the ground and is rapidly declining.

I have not Air Layered anything before but I hope that I may still be able to save some tops with Air Layering or cuttings.

I have two healthier shoots that still have leaves and green bark.

Should I try to Air layer or just cut these and try to induce rooting by use of the root hormone?

If I Air Layer should I cut all the way to the wood through the entire green inner layer under the bark or just partial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help save my Jade Vine!

What a shame. You can't air layer unless the vine is still attached. I'd cut it into smaller sections and try rooting those. I'd use rooting hormones and maybe use perlite to set the cuttings in. God luck.

o

Thanks I made a few currings with root hormone and Cirkon.

It may be a long shot but worth a try.

o

Success!
I tried cuttings and Air Layering and the Air Layer worked. Since the vine was severed, I cut a section that still had green under the bark and put the end of it in a bucket of water.
Then I made two wounds, added root hormone, Cirkon and sphagnum moss. About 4 days ago, the roots were well established. I cut two plastic pots added some potting mix and will let the roots fill that container before cutting it off and transplanting.

o

Great to hear! Thanks for the update.

o

How is your plant doing now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here