Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Can you help me identify this sprawling tropical?

alison
9 years ago

I bought this at the "retired plant" sale at the Conservatory last December, when it had a spread of about 3' and was almost entirely the large, deeply dissected leaves. Unfortunately a week after I got it home my furnace went out during bitterly cold weather, and it was almost 2 weeks before I got it replaced. Despite getting a prime spot in one of two warmish rooms, I lost most of the leaves, though not the plant.

It managed to bounce back, but I've noticed that it seems to have 3 different types of leaves present at one time on the limbs. All forms are visible in the photo; a small, oval to lanceolate leaf, a larger serrated leaf, and then a very large leaf that is very deeply dissected. The shape of the leaf does not change as it ages; it doesn't emerge oval and develop the lobes later. But I'm not sure the type of leaf doesn't change as the *branch* gets older. That is, that it puts out the simple leaves first, then the more complicated ones.

This is probably a common plant -- I think it was used as a bedding plant to set off a more exotic one -- but I don't know much about tropicals, and I didn't see it at the conservatory the last time I was there.

Can anyone give me a name, and any pointers on care? It's been on a north/east sun porch all summer, and seems to be growing slowly but steadily. Cold weather's coming and I'd like to get it situated for the winter.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths