Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catrina_gw

purple passion plant ID

Catrina's Garden
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a purple passion plant (gynura). I have searched the web and I found a lot of info about a similar plant which has orange or yellow flowers that smell bad, but mine has clusters of purple flowers that have no odor. Any ideas of a correct ID for this plant?

Thanks,

Catrina

Comments (23)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Catrina, your plant sounds like a Setcreasea (purple heart) You can find a pic of this plant on www.desert-tropicals.com Click on common names on the left side of the screen, scroll down until you come to Purple Heart..then click on the link..Toni

• smurfboy
    17 years ago

Purple passion plants are purple and fuzzy, you are probably talking about the wondering jew thats purple, flowers have 3 petals.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to both of you for replying. The plant that both of you are talking about is the same by different common names, I think but it is not the one. I have the purple wandering jew also. This one does have fuzzy leaves. Here is a link to a photo of it. http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?collid=727772072108&UV=667139547294_421862072108

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure why it didn't show up as a link, but it works if you copy and paste it into your address bar.
    Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me ID this.
    I think I'll try it on the name that plant forum also.
    Catrina

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

Catrina, I have this same plant but can't find anything on it other than you having the same. Are the flowers on a little spike? Almost look like miniature orchids. If anyone else knows what this plant is,please post.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Cat, I tried the site but it didnt' work..
    A wondering jew and purple heart are two different plants..The purple heart sends out little clusters of pink/purple flowers..
    Does anyone have a pic? Thanks, Toni

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

My flowers are lighter purple and white. They are aranged on a small spike like a lily of the valley flower.

• marquest
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of my purple heart Setcreasea. Is this the plant you have?

{{gwi:1315549}}

Close up of the plant
    {{gwi:79195}}

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

Not the one. Mine looks exactly like the purple passion vine except it is of smaller leaves, not as fuzzy and grows more upright. It's not in bloom right now as I just rooted and transplanted it. It had the flowers when I was given the cuttings. What you have blooming in the picture looks like a fucsia.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My gynura has fairly insignificant flowers that have no odor at all. I don't even remember if the blooms are yellow or another color.
    Karyn

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

Still have been unable to identify this plant. I believe that perhaps it could be an outside plant?? How do I post a picture of it? I'm new to this forum and have never posted a pic on any website. I have a digital and can save pictures to my pc. If anyone can help me to do this, I will show you a picture of the plant.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I'm trying to get the link to work again. I'm not very good at posting photos either. Marquest, can you tell us how? Sounds like boaringdog has the same plant as me.
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10056301208.727772072108.1184509611440&page=1
    Catrina

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple passion plant

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

I hope this works. A picture of my plant.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Hi, easiest way to post pics here is open a free photobucket.com account, upload your digi-pix to it, copy the HTML tag line from the little boxes of codes under the pic on the photobucket album you have made, just click on it and it will automatically copy it for you, then paste it into the message box here. Click preview to check all is ok and job done! Have a go. Hope this helps.
    Marquest...the 2nd of your pix has a variety of Fuchsia in flower growing through the purple leaved plant.
    Gill.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'm very sorry, I thought you only had to register for the Kodack site if you were uploading photos. Didn't know you had to register again to see them. Let's try it again with photobucket.
    Thanks for looking.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

Catrina, This is the same plant I have. As I said I was given the clippings several weeks ago and they had these same flowers on it. How often do you get blooms? I live on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Zone 4-5. Now just to identify it.. Anyone have any Ideas?

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

Heres mine. I think I finally figured this out.

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

The name of the plant is Plectranthus "Mona Lavender". I found it out on another botanical site. An outside plant for the most part but does well in containers and indoors in cooler climates. I live in Zone 4-5 southern wisconsin. It can take temps down to 25-30 F. We get much colder than that in deep winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mona Lavender

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

This has the same exact color of flowers mine had. Also shows it in a container

• bahia
    16 years ago

Definitely a Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender', which is a hybrid species created by Ball Growers and plant patented. It is no where near hardy to 25F, and will only take light frosts outdoors here in northern California before being killed to the ground. It only blooms under short day conditions, and typically starts blooming late September or so into November/December here in my garden. I have never heard this called purple passion plant before. There are lots of other interesting Plectranthus species out there, including species such as P. neochilus which is practically everblooming as a ground cover, but also smells like skunks, or the larger growing and minty foliaged P. zuluensis, which has pale lavender flowers all year round in our mediterranean climate. P. ecklonii is very similar in flower to P. 'Mona Lavender', yet larger in all aspects, and only blooms in fall also. They are all great landscape plants for mild climate gardens, but less usefull where it freezes, as most Plectranthus species only bloom once in the fall, and none are very hardy. Several other species are commonly grown as house plants and known as Creeping Charlie, and are also grown outdoors here in coastal California.

• boringdog1997
    16 years ago

bahia,
    Thank you for your input. More names I will look up.

• arleigh_b
    13 years ago

Passiflora incarnata is the purple passion flower, or maypops. Passiflora lutea is the yellow passion flower.