Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_nj

majesty palms-winterizing

margaret_nj
15 years ago

Hi, I have been perusing this site for the past two days, I even posted a palm question in the wrong section, oops.... Anyway, I bought two majesty palms in June. They did very well and look great around my pool. The fronds swaying in the gentle breese was so calming. I would like to keep them but do not want to store them in my house. They got really big and I heard inside, they attract spider mites. Can I cover them with heavy plastic and keep them on the side of my house for the winter? If I could, when should I do it. Around mid Oct?

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank yo- Margaret

Comments (9)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    15 years ago

Hi,

I would throw them away-not worth the effort. They are dirt cheap at HOME DEPOT and COSTCO in spring.

They would die outside in NJ anyhow.
    Boca Joe

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

yes, its surprising the number of these being sold
    here in Florida they sell LOTS of them and most people dont know proper care for them and they end up dying anyway. Most people arent aware that they grow naturally in boggy/swamp-like conditions and they die a very slow death due to lack of proper amounts of water,
    for most, they are better as a house plant as they can tolerate lower light conditions, if you can keep spider mite away; though if your house has proper humidity and moisture that can be avoided

• enigma99
    15 years ago

Actually for the record, Majestys will pretty much die at 27F. And if there is a frost they don't even need that much. I'm in an area where the average low is 27-29F in the winter, and even with protection it barely makes the winter.

But at the average price of 10-20.. why bother :) Just buy another one

• VAgrown
    13 years ago

Hey,

I bought 2 majesty palms last summer, and I planted them in the ground. I also kept them in the ground through the winter with the coldest temperature being 13 degrees F. I wrapped each one with burlap, and then i wrapped christmas lights around the burlap. I also placed a frost tarp around the lights. I just unwrapped them and they are still alive and green. There are even new spears growing from their crowns. I would give it a try to keep them in the ground through out the year to see how they do. So far, mine are doing just fine. I think it is possible for you to keep them alive in the ground.

Good Luck with your palms

• jmdupuyoo
    10 years ago

Hello VAgrown,
    Could you give us some news of your majesty palms?
    Sincerely.
    Jean-Michel

• Jonathan zone 5-6
    7 years ago

Hi I live in Toronto Canada, (zone5/6) I have planted

my majesty palm in ground, of course it's thriving through out the summer, however I'm probably going to do something never done with a majesty. I'm going to winterize it using the box method . It will have a heat cable on the trunk and fitted with heat/uv lights In the box.

Of course proper wrapping procedures will be followed. Our lowest temps here can reach - 20-30c. Thermocube will be used to keep temp Inside box between 2-7c at all times. Here is a pic of someone else's boxes so you have an idea of how we grow palms in the great white North lol. This pic is from a zone 4 area

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    7 years ago

I commend you for your efforts to keep a majesty palm alive in winter, but if you're going to go through all that trouble to keep it alive through a winter in Toronto, maybe you'd have better luck with a palm that is more tolerant of cold. Howea forsteriana, Beccariophoenix alfredii and parajubaea toralyii or cocoides are all more tolerant of cold than majesty palms. If you want to go with a hardier palm, Syagrus romanzoffiana and Butia capitata can take down to at least the low 20s before they start showing damage.

• Jonathan zone 5-6
    7 years ago

Awesome info thanks. May have to look into one of these next spring. Fingers crossed. Keeping all the receipts for the uv lamps and other materials lol